4k Export and Save not working on my S Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Feenix, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Feenix macrumors member

Hi all. Long story short, (I have tested everything, making sure I even had shot in 4k) uploading to youtube caps out at 1080p for my options.

Saving to camera roll caps out at 1080p.

This is in iMovie. I didn't use any effects or filters. I double-tested it with a single, unedited 4k video snippet I put into iMovie on my S Plus and then tried to save and/or export. 1080p capped.

I've seen others send me screenshots of their 4k upload to Youtube (and save to camera roll) options.

What the crap?

Backing up my iMovie projects now and deleting/re-installing iMovie on my S Plus.

Anyone else had any hardship there?

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

What resolution is the video if you use the Image Capture app and copy the video from your phone to the computer desktop?

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I just did a test from my 6S Plus. I made a short video then copied it to my Mac using image capture, then opened it in quicktime. It is 4k 2160p.

4. Feenix thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I was trying to keep the info brief in the post, but I tested that. 3180 x 2160 or whatever it is. Definitely 4k. (I tested this by plugging my phone in and Photos app on my iMac opened up.)

It's 4k stuff. Just seems like my phone isn't able to export it/save it anywhere above 1080p. At least in iMovie and the like...

5. Feenix thread starter macrumors member

I think I found the solution. I showed as being updated on iMovie. I went to the App Store and there was NO update. The text of MY current version was the latest text, re: 4k, iOS9, etc.

I backed my stuff up, deleted that iMovie, redownloaded, and what do you know... iMovie looks TOTALLY different. I guess it wasn't updated after all. Weird.

Yep! That was it!

6. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Actually, to be exact, and I know people are going to hate me, our iPhone 6S actually records in UHD, and not 4K. 4K would be in 4096. Our iPhones are more in UHD's 3000s x 2160. Don't you just hate technicalities? (Like how HD was another name for anything above 720p).