4K iMac is now a really cool desktop machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Appleaker, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Appleaker macrumors 68000

This is mainly because of the addition of dedicated graphics, but also with the improved displays, faster processors, faster RAM, and Fusion drive standard on the higher end model.

Before I saw it as not comparable to the 27" but now it seems impressive and a true competitor against the 27" for many people. What do you think?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I agree, Apple's refresh to the 21.5" 4K iMac was exactly what most people were hoping for spec-wise (other than the fact you still can't easily upgrade the RAM).

Wait a second, on the higher model only? C'mon Apple, you've got to be kidding me. Not a single Mac should be sold new with only a 5400 RPM drive at this point, not a single one.
    Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.22.24 PM.png
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MNDY2LL/A&step=config#

3. Appleaker thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah especially with their move to have 24GB Flash only with the 1TB Fusion Drive. You would think that would allow them to apply it to all models. Also, I was hoping for a 2TB Fusion option for the 4K, as flash has gone to 1TB maximum. Other than that, it seems like an appealing option.

4. 007 Junior macrumors regular

007 Junior

They've increased the SSD storage with Fusion Drives. Quoting from the Apple website: "The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 32GB of fast SSD."

5. Appleaker thread starter macrumors 68000

That's good to hear but it's still not the 128GB it was originally which is a shame.