4K iMac with fusion drive or MacBook Pro 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oviraptor323, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Oviraptor323 macrumors newbie

Oviraptor323

Which should I get for light gaming, web browsing, light photo and video editing, etc?

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Do you need portability? If not, the 21" iMac would probably suit your needs.

I recently upgraded from a 24" 2008 iMac that, although was still working fine, recently died with the anticipated repairs costing more than it was worth. I deliberated back and forth between the 27" iMac and the MBP with external monitor. The thing that convinced me to go with the MBP was the speed of the 512GB SSD compared to both the 1TB and 2TB Fusion drives, as well as the desire to unchain myself from my workstation. I've had it for 2-½ weeks, and really could not see going back to a desktop as my only computer.

3. Oviraptor323 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oviraptor323

I don't NEED portability but it would be useful I guess. So you are using your MBP as a desktop replacement? What model is it?

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Yes, desktop replacement. I got the 2015 15" MBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Incredibly fast compared to my old iMac. I got more computer than I need, but since the MBPs are un-upgradeable, and I'd like to get at least 5 years out of it, I got a well-speced machine. I plan on getting the Dell 27" 4K display around Christmas time. For now, the 15" retina display is keeping me VERY happy!

5. Oviraptor323 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oviraptor323

Would you say the 13 inch model would also be a viable desktop replacement? That's all I can afford really.

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Probably the best thing to do would be to go to the Apple Store and see how they work in doing the things you want to do. Just make sure to get the RAM and SSD you need not only now, but for how long you want to own this.