4K IPS monitors known to work well with Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris Sutton, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Chris Sutton macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

Hello,
    Are there certain 4K monitor models that are known to work well with a Macbook Pro retina (with AMD Radeon R9 M370X) ??

The screen of the Macbook Pro retina is great in itself but for design work I need a bigger screen I can connect it to probably 50% of the time.

I would have thought that Apple would have a 4K screen by now but it seems not.

Has anyone recently bought a 4K (3840 x 2160) monitor that they can recommend ??

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Slightly different question; Apple's literature claim that the MBP retina (with above video card and OSX Yosemite) will work with a 5K monitor with dual connectors, however someone said it will stutter. Which is correct ?

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Myself, I use a Sharp PN-K322B without any problems. The best part is that the 10-point multitouch screen works with OS X well.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

4. Chris Sutton thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

Hi, do you mind if I ask what type of connector you use and from which port on the MBP retina to which port on the monitor ? ....and do you get full 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution ?

5. Chris Sutton thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

Hi, (as the previous responder) do you mind if I ask what type of connector you use and from which port on the MBP retina to which port on the monitor ? ....and do you get full 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution ?
    Thanks

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

mDP 1.2. And yes, I got full 4K @ 60Hz on a 15" rMBP.

7. Chris Sutton thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

I checked the prices online and the lowest price for that monitor here is about £4300 ! More than twice the cost of the MBP retina which in my opinion for a monitor is crazy.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's not just a monitor - it's got a 10 point multitouch display.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Mini displayport to displayport. On the most recent 15" rMBP with integrated graphics, plugging it in just worked.