4k Monitor and Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mr Ski 73, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

Hi

I haven't got a 4k TV but I do have a Dell P2715Q 27" 4k monitor.

I think that you need an Apple TV to show 4k movies and I can connect my monitor straight to the ATV (HDMI) and it should work. Has anyone tried this and am I correct?

2. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

Most TVs these days are either just monitors, or monitors with a streaming player built in (SmartTV). As long as you go HDMI to HDMI, it will work. Sound will be pitiful, but it will work.

3. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

4. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

5. miric macrumors member

miric

I connected my ATV 4K to Dell U2718Q via conventional HDMI cable as well as via Belkin Ultra High Speed. The second one allows 4K 60Hz@Chroma 4:2:2. Works well but I found tvOS interface and app icons colors a bit oversaturated. I didn't try to get a sound from this pair due to my laziness but Dell has 3.5mm jack so I do believe it's possible to get a sound via it without a receiver or HDMI splitter.

6. miric macrumors member

miric

Some updates just in case.
    1. Sound really works via Dell’s mini jack.
    2. I’ve found out a reason of those ugly colors in ATV interface. Smart HDR. Never again. Strange Dell’s implementation.

7. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Not to worried about sound I was going to use BT headphones. I guess I could tweak the colour settings on the monitor or is it so far out it is not practical?

8. miric macrumors member

miric

Sure, you could. But after turning off Smart HDR feature I'm pretty happy with my monitor colors.