4k monitor help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by actripxl, Feb 11, 2018.

1. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Hello everyone, I have a retina mid 2015 13" MacBook pro and really getting into my photography and will now start making videos on youtube for a project of mine based on male depression.

I would like to use a 4k monitor as my work flow would be much quicker. What would you guys recommend that it's compatible with Thunder bolt 2 or is there a way I can use a thunder bolt,3 monitor?

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

There are no 4K Thunderbolt 2 monitors that I've seen, and you cannot use a TB3 display on a TB2 interface.
    DisplayPort handles 4K fine. Using your Mac's ThunderBolt port with a Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable on a 4K monitor such as the Dell 27" P7215Q will work great.

3. actripxl thread starter macrumors 6502

actripxl

Thanks for the reply

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

What size screen are you after?
    The recently launched SW271 from BenQ looks good. Comes with USBC connection for future proofing. But I prefer a bigger screen with 4K. The SW320 would fit that bill.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I used a 27" Viewsonic VP-2780 4K with my rMBP that had TB2. The monitor had a TB2 to Display port that let me run the monitor at 4K 60Hz. The monitor is wide gamut. It was excellent.

I replaced. the rMBP and 4K monitor with a 5K iMac for the desktop and an iPad Pro for the field.

6. actripxl thread starter macrumors 6502

actripxl

Thanks for the heads up, I'm planning to buy a monitor although I'm still debating on following your setup of 5k iMac and an iPad pro
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    27 is my sweet spot but 32 would be nice, especially if its curved.