4k ready apps (Wiki)

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

anticipate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
So far these apps will display 4K content:

1. iTunes
  2. Netflix (4K shows have an "Ultra HD" indicator)
  3. Vimeo (4K videos are shown with a 4K indicator and are clearly 4K)
  4. Photos (only stills & memories. Videos are in HD as indicated in the drop down even if shot in 4K)
  5. Infuse 4 & 5
  6. UltraFlix
  7. Plex
  8. 4K Photo (full resolution and coreML image tagging)

Not yet:
  1. Hulu
  2. YouTube [app (or ATV software) needs updating to support VP9 codec - APPS can roll their own codecs, VLC and InFuse does this.]
  3. Vudu

Coming soon:
  1. Amazon Video

Last edited by thasoul:

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

davechapfilms

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
- Photos
Correct, all videos play in a compressed 1080p format—or smaller depending on the source. I have a followup with the Apple Dev team about this and hopefully it is just a simple fix. The Apple TV 4K should really be playing the native 4K files.

- iMovie Theater
Not sure who uses this, but when a 4K or 1080p iMovie project is sent iMovie Theater, the resulting file is 720p. It looks horrendous. The icon hasn't been updated either, so maybe fixes are coming.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Apps can roll their own codecs regardless of Apple. VLC and InFuse has done this for years.
[doublepost=1506344135][/doublepost]Yes.
Google can't include a software codec on the ATV that can handle 4K HDR. Apple will have to do that just as every other set top box that supports YouTube 4K HDR.

cvanhoose

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
- Photos
Correct, all videos play in a compressed 1080p format—or smaller depending on the source. I have a followup with the Apple Dev team about this and hopefully it is just a simple fix. The Apple TV 4K should really be playing the native 4K files.

- iMovie Theater
Not sure who uses this, but when a 4K or 1080p iMovie project is sent iMovie Theater, the resulting file is 720p. It looks horrendous. The icon hasn't been updated either, so maybe fixes are coming.
Incorrect - airplay streams 4k photos and video. iCloud also streams 4k photos. please check your upload settings for photos.

wnhmasterchief

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
You can probably add Vudu in the “not yet” category. No doubt they’ll update at some point, but no announcement yet.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have been having issues with 4K content through Plex on my new Apple TV. I thought it could be the app, but you are all saying that it is updated to support the new box? Maybe it is my NAS then, although it was always listed to be able to handle real time trans-coding of 4K content. I don't know enough to say.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I have been having issues with 4K content through Plex on my new Apple TV. I thought it could be the app, but you are all saying that it is updated to support the new box? Maybe it is my NAS then, although it was always listed to be able to handle real time trans-coding of 4K content. I don't know enough to say.

Plex on the Apple TV 4K hasn’t been all that great for me if I’m honest.

The server side is absolutely fine, no problems there. But the player has just struggled with some material.

I switched over to Infuse and it’s played everything I’ve thrown at it so far. Even my highest bitrate 4K files.

I prefer Plex, I’m a lifetime subscriber, but it’s just not right for me yet. I’ll keep it installed and I’ll keep checking it. Because I know that soon they’ll iron out the kinks and I can switch back to using it.

In the meantime, it’s Infuse all the way.

Give it a try before you start questioning your hardware.

Reactions: ErikGrim

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Plex on the Apple TV 4K hasn’t been all that great for me if I’m honest.

The server side is absolutely fine, no problems there. But the player has just struggled with some material.

I switched over to Infuse and it’s played everything I’ve thrown at it so far. Even my highest bitrate 4K files.

I prefer Plex, I’m a lifetime subscriber, but it’s just not right for me yet. I’ll keep it installed and I’ll keep checking it. Because I know that soon they’ll iron out the kinks and I can switch back to using it.

In the meantime, it’s Infuse all the way.

Give it a try before you start questioning your hardware.
That was my plan, trying Infuse tonight.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
That was my plan, trying Infuse tonight.

Here’s hoping it helps. It worked wonders for me. I had one of those moments of utter disappointment when I tried Plex, after getting my hopes up and getting excited about the 4K Apple TV (and doing a damn near 100 mile round trip to get the bloody thing.)

But faith was restored and I breathed a sigh of relief one I tried Infuse. I still don’t find it as refined as Plex but it’ll sure do for now.

Poontaco

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2014
Here’s hoping it helps. It worked wonders for me. I had one of those moments of utter disappointment when I tried Plex, after getting my hopes up and getting excited about the 4K Apple TV (and doing a damn near 100 mile round trip to get the bloody thing.)

But faith was restored and I breathed a sigh of relief one I tried Infuse. I still don’t find it as refined as Plex but it’ll sure do for now.
Infuse is great.
It's what I always use to stream locally.
I just use Plex when I'm away from home.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Awesome, I have a few 40GB 4K movies I want to throw at it and see how it handles it. I was worried that I would need to upgrade my NAS.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.