4k recording on 6 Plus is amazing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daiphoneboss, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

so i am using this app that allows 4K video(well it records very close to 4K then it gets upscaled to 4K) and I have to say, the footage simply is stunning viewing it back on the 6 Plus with this Procam app, 4K video is actually really nice it just destroys storage space.

I am able to record 4K video with .tiff and not .jpg compression and it comes out incredibly good

It looks honestly ridiculously good mixed with the super fast auto focus of the new iPhones, the extremely fast auto focus and 4K recording is a great combo

It costs a few bucks to buy the app and then to buy the 4K feature in the app is a extra few bucks too...but it is totally worth it. Taking pictures in .tiff mode instead of .jpeg compression also makes a difference aswell

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Do you think the quality increase would transfer over after posting to Instagram?

Like if I used the app to record raw footage. Brought it into Final Cut, emailed it, then posted it to Instagram.

But I do know Instagram compresses it.

Is it really looking that much better?

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

EDIT: Removed original question.

Nvm I missed the name of the app in the post.

4. GoingDark macrumors 6502

How can you even tell the difference between 4k and 1080p on the 5.5" screen of the 6 Plus? At that size the difference should be indistinguishable to the naked eye.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Possibly exporting and watching on his TV?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Would still have to be a Ultra HD TV. Because an HD TV only has enough pixels for 1080p, therefore it would still look exactly the same. Nothing will take advantage of 1080p+ resolution unless it's designed for it.

But additionally the OP said it looks amazing on their phone, which is no different than 1080p video.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I thought there were 4K TV's out there. Personally I am happy with my 720p TV. Yeah a better resolution looks nice, but I am not a resolution hog. It's about the content quality of the show/movie.

8. Daiphoneboss thread starter macrumors member

To be honest even though i am viewing the 4k video on a 1080p 6 Plus screen(4k video gets downscaled to 6 Plus display surely, but still without a doubt still see a difference)

Yes I can actually tell 4K videos do look a bit better in terms of sharpness and resolution on my 6 Plus then any 1080p30/60 fps video.

It eats up like almost 10mb a second when recording with no compression in 4K. It is pretty awesome id say

----------

Thats just wrong. You can easily see a difference when playing a 4k video even on a 1080p screen, if you have a 1080p computer screen or laptop with a 1080p screen just go to Youtube and watch a 4K video. It looks sharper, not a huge difference but you can tell 4K video does look nicer then 1080p video does on a 1080p panel

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Wrong.

http://youtu.be/kIf9h2Gkm_U

10. bruce0987 macrumors member

It's very easy to see. Try looking at a 4k YouTube video on your 1080p monitor.

11. boch82 macrumors 6502

All depends on the proper encoding. 4K is encoded at over twice the bitrate of 1080p for YouTube, so even a 1080p set you will see a difference. If you were to encode a 1080p and 4k both at the same bit rate and looked at them on the same 1080 display you will not see a difference.

Attached Files:

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

This was very informative thank you. So, I retract my previous statement saying you won't see a difference on a 1080p display, but you will see a much greater difference if the hardware itself is actually 4K. But regardless, on an iPhone 6+ at 5.5 inches, I highly doubt you can tell the difference. The screen is too small. 20+ inches then I get it.

This is probably the issue that I have been seeing, as to my original statement of you not being able to tell the difference on a 1080p display. My sister has a GoPro4 and has been filming in 4K, but her bit rate is probably the factor when she creates movies on her computer.

13. bruce0987 macrumors member

I agree with you, but to be honest that has to be pretty crappy 4k if it were encoded in the same bit rate as 1080p. on topic of OP, I guess check the bit rate to be sure it actually is 4k you're recording and exporting

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'm guessing that it's recording at 1080 and interpolating up to 4k, which means the app isn't worth its weight in pixels.

15. Daiphoneboss thread starter macrumors member

No it is recording at 3264x1836 resolution and then gets upscaled to 4K resolution

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I must be missing something here. How can a camera that can only record at a maximum of 1920X1080 record at 3264X1836?

Sorry if I am being stupid.

17. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

You're not. It's not possible. It's magic.

No. It's not.

18. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I'll bet 4k makes it's way into the next iPhone. At least I hope it does, even though I don't use an iPhone as my daily. It's nice to have, and Apple does a great job with their cameras and processing.

I finally have something that will record full 4k (Moto X 2014), and it is beautiful! I wish I had a 4K screen, but I have my rMBP and it looks beautiful on there. Video that is actually higher res than my retina display, how nice :cool:

I took some stills of the video in VLC and it is amazingly detailed. Just looks like an 8MP photo, but moving at 30fps :)

Who knows, I may grab a 6s plus or whatever-they-call-it next year if iOS 9 is looking on track. Using 8.1.2 on my 4s is a bit of a pain. Not speed wise necessarily, it's just so buggy, on a fresh restore, with no backup. Optimal situation really, and it still does some odd things. Usually rotation related or crashing.

I'd like to see some footage from this app though.

19. Daiphoneboss thread starter macrumors member

1080p is only really 2-3 megapixels about, 4K recording requires a little over 8 megapixels and since the 6 and 6 plus are not above 8 megapixels it renders at that maximum possible resolution of the camera (8 megapixels worth/3264x1836)

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are we talking about procam 2?

I searched just procam and couldn't find it.

21. Daiphoneboss thread starter macrumors member

Procam 2 yes correct