4K TV Advice Please

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by boateng, Aug 22, 2016.

1. boateng macrumors 6502

Hello all

Basically i am from London and my flat is currently getting renovated top to bottom.

We have decided to purchase a new TV.....and I was wondering if it was worth investing in a 4K TV.

Basically the TV will be our main living room TV which will be used to watch moves, have a PS4 hooked up to it, watch sports etc....

Size of the TV will be between 49-55 inches...and our budget is £600 max. Should we get a 4k one?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Not sure you can get that size in 4K at your price point.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Do you have Sky?
    There is very little 4K content in the UK at the moment.
    However if you are looking to keep the TV 5 years plus, then get 4K.
    Buy it from John Lewis and they'll give you a 5 year warranty for free.
    Just bought a 40" HDR Panasonic 4K TV from there. Very happy with it.

4. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I have sky but I think to get 4K you need Sky Q or whatever it is called haha. Not sure if I am going to invest in that.

Also the TV has to be from Argos sadly....that is because I have a £250 gift card so I will use that and pay the rest.
    What TV did you get? Do you recommend any? You can get a 49' inch LG TV 4K from Argos for £550
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    really

do i need to go even higher

Argos have an LG 49' 4K for £550.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

So I have a cheap Samsung in the bedroom and the blacks and colours are terrible.
    I'd rather get a smaller better quality one.

The Panasonic is a 40DX700 series.

6. cube macrumors G5

You should start your search at 48".

I think 4K3D will be more expensive than than your budget.

There's cool 4K stuff in Netflix and Youtube, even if it is highly compressed. But there's also UHD Blu Ray now.
    I was looking for Panasonic, but I wanted it curved to use as a monitor.

7. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any specific TV's you recommend?
    Like I have said you can get this for £550 but if Panasonic and Sony are better....i might as well invest..
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5328457.htm
    How much did you pay for yours may I ask?

8. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Sony xbr x850C55" or xbr x850D55", or don't bother. Whatever you do don't buy a vizio, total crap!

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I think it was around £700.
    I think it's more important to look at the specifications than the brand.
    Look for a good contrast ratio as this makes a big difference.

10. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

They also have a Philips 49" 4K for £369. Someone in the family has the 43" version of it and it seems a decent set. There doesn't seem to be much difference in price now for 4K, so you might as well get one.

HDR is apparently a bigger improvement than the 4K resolution, but you will have to pay a lot more for that.

11. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you got that one?
    I am going to ignore the Philips one...
    Apparently there have been so many return because of quality etc.

12. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

Basically focus on getting the best television you can at your price point. if it happens to be 4K, congrats. alternately, find the TV you want, and it it costs more, save your money until you can.

HD vs 4K is just one of a hundred factors you should consider. think about what else is important to you and what you expect of it.

13. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

any recommendations?

14. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

This one is a bit more expensive than you might want but might be worth it Panasonice: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1471947557&sr=1-3&keywords=4k+tv

You can also buy the 40 inch smaller version for 649.

Features:
    4k, HDR, Smart TV (wouldn't use it it's just to advertisement spying rather use a Roku), 1400 HZ

Only "downside" it's LED instead of OLED but OLEDs are are in a different pricerange for now.

15. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

I will see if they sell it in Argos because I want to buy it from Argos since I have a 250 gift card

16. cube, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

cube macrumors G5

I saw no direct lit 4K Panasonics at your site, the best I could find were DX700B's.

Maybe some other brand, but they are quite rare and probably over your budget.

But it still might be the best choice in your case.

I did not check if there were any HDR10 or Dolby Vision TVs there. In any case, AFAIK only one LG OLED has both.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016 ---
    This site does not cover all shops, so some models will be missing, but it has the best filters to find stuff. I have my doubts about 'direct-lit', so to take with a grain of salt.

I could not push Quantum Dot more or less within your budget:

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=tvlcd&v=e&...2_HDR%7E3952_Local+Dimming%7E5044_HEVC#xf_top

17. Zandery macrumors member

No go for the best 1080p TV that you can as 4K is more than resolution it's about UHD/HDR and the right UHD/HDR sources (Netflix, Sky, Amazon Prime, Blu-ray etc). You'll be looking at a lot more than £600 so your best bet is 1080p.

18. cube macrumors G5

I don't think there's any advantage in practice to limit yourself to 1080p if you want an up to date 3D SmartTV. If you only go 2D maybe, but that is a huge constraint if you have access to 3D sources.

On the other hand, given that UHD Bluray is still limited to 1080p for 3D, it means a passive 4K set gets full 3D resolution. A Full HD set would have to be active. You still need to check the 3D vertical viewing angle

Given the limited availability and state of flux of HDR, removing this requirement gives more choices, but probably none that fits his shopping constraints:

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=tvlcd&v=e&...7E3952_Direct-lit%7E3952_Local+Dimming#xf_top

19. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you got any recommendations

I actually am not the best with TVs...
    Thats the thing I really don't know

People are recommending this TV, but I am not sure if i should spend that much on what i require.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1471947557&sr=1-3&keywords=4k+tv

20. cube, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

cube macrumors G5

I was considering some Panasonics like this or perhaps a little bit better, but I wanted curved and found a great Samsung deal.

I don't know if the shop where you have to buy would have something better in another brand.

The main display limitations that this has are not being Quantum Dot or direct lit, but it has some local dimming.

I don't know how compatible the HDR is, or if some upgrade is promised.

But I think it has both HEVC and VP9 for Netflix and Youtube.

For Panasonic, sometimes a similar model but bigger has better display technology. The Panasonic site should have a big PDF with a comparison table of all their TVs (basically, a 48" monitor is great to view it, although the document I had checked last year seemed to be of low resolution for such a display at 4K).

Taking that into account, here's a review for the 58". As usual, experts about TVs can be more critical that a person on a budget:

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-dx700-tx-58dx700b-uhd-4k-tv-review.12515
    I could not find the UK VIERA catalog, so I think the French 2015 should do. Page 32 and 33:

http://www.panasonic.com/content/da...chures-et-catalogues/2015_VIERA_PANASONIC.pdf

21. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

LG or Samsung. You might have to go up a bit in budget, but you can't go wrong with either.

22. cube macrumors G5

Panasonic has been using LG panels for some years now, but they add their excellent processing.

23. cube, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016

cube macrumors G5

Important caveat for Netflix and Amazon, HDR seems to strike out budget-wise:

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=tvlcd&v=e&...%7E5044_Dolby+Digital+Plus%7E5044_HEVC#xf_top

This should be further restricted if you also need DTS on the TV itself.

I did not look at the audio before because I don't use the tuners or speakers on my TV.

So, you must not forget to check the tuner section which I purposely left out if you need it.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 24, 2016 ---
    If you don't use the speakers or tuners on the TV, you might also forget the smarts and get a Roku:

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=tvlcd&v=e&...7E3952_Direct-lit%7E3952_Local+Dimming#xf_top
    --- Post Merged, Aug 24, 2016 ---
    Note that sometimes, a small variation in the model number may be to account for small country differences.

DX704 in Germany might be DX700 in France or DX700B in the UK (not exactly sure about this case).

24. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I don't like the way 4k looks--IMHO Talking about seeing them in stores. Seem over-saturated.

That said, I have never been disappointed in a good Sony. Nice bright picture, good quality. True colors.

You can find reviews on places like Amazon to help you decide.

25. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Colors are always jacked on new TVs which is why you should have them professionally calibrated. One this is done, colors will be more natural and the TV will run much cool (especially if it's a plasma).