4K TV as external display for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VFRulez, Aug 20, 2017.

1. VFRulez macrumors newbie

Hi,

I intent to get a MacBook Pro 2017 and replace my Desktop Mac with a combo out of the MacBook and an external Display. One of my ideas is to get a 4K TV for this, which would be ideal for having a huge working space and at the same time a TV/Video screen on my desk.

It is my current understanding that a TV for gaming definitely would be to slow, but for normal desktop working, it should be fine. So it would be only important to find a TV with a proper port capable to receive a 4K 60Hz signal.

What do you all think about this? Do you think this could be a feasible option?
    Can you recommend any specific TVs for this?

Thank you!

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about particular TVs, but it is my understanding that even some newer UHD TVs only support 30Hz refresh rate at 4K resolutions. Also, even if the panel supports 4K60 you have to make sure that both the TV and your adapter (USB-C to HDMI) support HDMI 2.0, or you will be limited again to 4K30.

3. HaddockW macrumors newbie

Nope. You shouldn't because most TVs don't have the proper chroma sampling which is necessary for text. You'll get edge bleed. For TVs,this isnt an issue as you are watching mostly moving images.

Watch this youtube video, he explains it pretty good.

Google: Chroma Sampling 4:4:4 4K TV

Very few TVs have proper chroma sampling.

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

This is very interesting. I did not know that... thank you for sharing!