4K via sms?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sincere11105, Sep 12, 2015.

1. sincere11105 macrumors 6502

Has anyone heard about sharing options for the 4K video? I wonder if we will be able to send 4K videos via sms? Im coming from the note 5 and whenever i send a 4K video to an iPhone, they receive it in very degraded form. I hope they find a way to fix this when sending 4K video from one iPhone to another. With the note 5, theres no way to lower the video quality once taken to be able to send.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Highly unlikely. Use Dropbox, but even then they stream back in lower quality unless they download it.

3. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

4K is so large, roughly 6.25MB a second. That's already to big for most SMS messages.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it goes via iMessage it will be fine. If it's via sms it will be pixelated very bad.

5. ziggy3055 macrumors member

ziggy3055

Lol why would you want to send a 4k video via MMS? Have you ever seen a regular video with the quality sent via that medium? If you have to ask I'll assume you haven't.

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

MMS is strictly a "lowest common denominator" system. Images and video tend to get re-encoded and transmitted at very low quality.

I really can't think of a good reason to use MMS with modern smartphones. If they have an iPhone, just use iMessage. If you need to send stuff to Android-using friends, I recommend using the Google Hangouts app. Pretty much every Android phone sold in the western world will be logged into Hangouts by default, so it's pretty much iMessage for Android users.

7. sincere11105 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have. I record my kids in 4K. A short video and send it to my wife. It was just a question.