4K Video editing on the new 15rMBP?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeepit92, Oct 29, 2016.

1. jeepit92 macrumors newbie

I've been waiting to see if the iMac gets updated, and now we all know...no update. So now I'm looking at the new 2016 15"rMBP to handle my 4K video editing using FCPX and my photography editing using LR.

I specked out a late 2015 iMac at 4 ghz, 1 tb flash, 24gig ram, and 395x gpu.

Looking at the 2016 rMBP, I would speck it out to include 2.9 ghz i7, 1tb SSD, Radeon Pro 460 w/4gig memory gpu. (top of the line)

My main concern is rMBP 16 gig memory, and it's gpu. Will 16 gig memory be enough to be able to render 4K video, while also working on something else at the same time? And what about the gpu, is it stout enough to what the 395x gpu can do on the 27 inch iMac?
    I attempted to build an iMac that was somewhat future proof (I know nothing is future proof when it comes to computers) and I want to do the same with the laptop. I've had my current Mac Pro since 2007 and it's time to get a new computer. I will have the next computer for the same time frame that I've had my current Mac Pro - 10 years.
    So if you video and photography experts ( and anyone else)could weigh in on this I would be grateful.

Thank you...
    Rick

2. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

I don't see why not considering it's possible on the much lower powered 12 inch MacBook

3. jeepit92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you it was interesting to watch.
    Still looking for feedback from forum members.

4. tudyniuz macrumors member

tudyniuz

It will without a doubt do well for video editing, even in 4K, but only if you stick to FCP X. If you jump over to DaVinci Resolve or even Premiere, it won't always cut it, especially in 4K.

I would recommend the iMac if you're planning on doing bigger projects, 4K, color grading, after effects or premiere, etc.

I am currently using a 2014 rMBP 15" with the 750m and it just flies through 4K footage in FCPX, but if I even attempt to go to DaVinci or Premiere it is choppy as hell. Totally unusable, so I'd rather go for the iMac, which I'm considering right now as I do more and more color grading.

If you can only live within FCP X, I am 100% sure the new Macbooks will be plenty powerful.

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Sure it can. Remember that NLE apps render a preview in the background. That is what you playback from on the timeline and it is a much lower bit rate than the RAW footage.