4K video from Mac to TV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dorsal, Nov 13, 2016.

1. dorsal macrumors member

So I can make a 4K video on my Mac Pro using FCP X and Compressor, but what is the Best/Easiest/Cheapest way to get it to my 4K TV? Running an HDMI cable between them is not the elegant solution. Not interested in gaming solutions either. Just media streaming of personal media from my Mac to my TV.

2. steve123 macrumors regular

Cannot do this yet in the Apple ecosystem until they release a 4K Apple TV unless you want to use a mac mini and a cable.

3. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

At the moment your best option is a 4K media streamer box, preferably one that supports H.265. There are loads of options available and not that expensive. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GooBang-Do...9209357&sr=8-14&keywords=4k+h265+media+player

But don't get that particular one on my recommendation, I don't own it and haven't tested it, and there are cheaper options than even this. Its just an example I picked randomly from Amazon but its the sort of thing to look for.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Since no one has mentioned it most of these TVs have USB port on them now so files on USB stick/external drive plugged in and play them from that.

5. dorsal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips. My particular TV only takes 4K input from the HDMI port. Looks like I have to explore the GooBang Doo route. It looks scary....

6. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

7. luis888 macrumors newbie

iPhone X 4K60p is 50Mbits/sec, 4K30p is 30Mbits/sec, no way that it can stream from iCloud to Apple TV4K even with fiber without lags. Imagine 10.000 user streaming at the same time, it can even get lags on a local wifi or ethernet cable with file acces to mac.
    You tube stream 4K30p BUT compressed with a bad quality may be 8Mbits/sec.
    The only real way to get real 4K60p is to download the video file to local disk or fast usb stick and plug that into the 4K TV.