4K video laggy playback iPhone 6S Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teeejay, Nov 8, 2015.

1. teeejay, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

teeejay macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I was just wondering. I have the iPhone 6S Plus. Yesterday I was on a concert of Czech movie orchestra, where they were playing the Star Wars themes and many of Zimmer's famous songs.

I wanted to record few of the best moments. So I captured it on my iPhone at 4K. However, whenever I playback them, the video stutters, it is choppy. But it isn't due to the 30 FPS recording limitation IMO.

Every time I play it, it lags at different time of playback, sometimes it's 1:18, sometimes 1:01 etc. It happens with all the videos.

I think it could be due to the a) thermal throttling, b) A9 isn't just powerful for 4K yet. Are my conclusions correct?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. ielessar macrumors regular

4k runs fine on my phone. Try closing all running apps, then do a full settings reset for your phone.

Settings > general > reset > reset all settings. That can help.

3. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

Same here, never had any issues with 4K video on mine either.

4. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

I recorded a 60 second continuous pan 4K video, and it played back perfectly smoothly, no hiccups

I would suggest that there is something grabbing CPU resource on the phone and it is interfering, almost certainly not with the recording itself, but just with the playback.

5. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Bigger question is, can you actually see the benefit of 4k on a 1080p phone display?

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

My bigger camera has a display that might show something equal to a 5 megapixel photo but it captures at a much higher resolution. The device display should not be the determining factor when deciding the recording resolution. What will be used later to view the video and future technologies should decide. We both know you already have your answer on the phone display. 4k will show equal to previous 1080p when viewed on the phone but its not just the phone that your video will be played on in the future.

7. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

Move the video to a pc yet? Does it still stutter? Reboot phone or try a different video playback app to help narrow down the problem. I've shot over 20gb of 4K and have never had this issue with playback, even edited those 20gb with iMovie and exported to 4K and still no stutter during playback.

You can when you zoom 4x while shooting and you're still seeing 1080p

8. teeejay thread starter macrumors regular

So what's the reason phone makers put 4K capabilities into their phones? :p

Of course it makes no sense to playback it on iPhone, you won't see any difference at all. But my PC has 4K monitor, so, that's why I've tried it.

9. cynics macrumors G3

I don't think a lot of people get this. Its like buying a 2mp camera because the tiny LCD maxes out at that resolution. Obviously the pictures and video taken from a device are designed to be exported to another device capable of displaying them properly. The 6S isn't even 1080p, that doesn't mean you shouldn't record at 1080p.

10. teeejay thread starter macrumors regular

I do get this. That's why I wrote, that I own 4K monitor. Just the phone behavior is weird. Sometimes the playback is choppy, sometimes it isn't, even with all apps closed.

11. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Well I guess Apple now has something to shoot for on the iPhone 7/7+.