4K Video on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamets515, Jul 17, 2012.

1. jamets515 macrumors regular

2. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

I don't really see a difference between 1080p and 4K... is it just me?

3. rovex macrumors 65816

I think Youtube isn't the best place for watching 4K videos, however in your case try switching from flash to HTML it may clear things up a bit.

4. heyimandy macrumors member

Well one reason is it's also compressed 4K with a codec.

5. PM Harold Saxon macrumors newbie

Viewed the YouTube Videos in 4K in Google Chrome on OS X Mountain Lion, on an Early-2008 "Non-Unibody" MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz "Penryn" Core 2 Duo, only 4GB of DDR2 RAM, and nVidia GeForce 8600M GT, without any issues what-so-ever.

6. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Also remember 4k videos on youtube are not really 4k... they downsized it down to 2k I don't remember when they did this.

However, it looks great whatsoever on the rMBP!

7. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Looks fantastic on my 13'' MBP... I can only imagine how it looks on a Retina.

8. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Videos on the rMBP will look the same as on the MBP13 except it has better viewings angles but a worse color gamut

9. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

10. randomnut macrumors member

Haha owned.

I love how people clearly have no idea whatsoever what colour gamut is but like to take this information second hand and spout it as truth :/

Btw for anyone interested, youtube has dropped the resolution to 2k, you can still download in 4k though. I downloaded the '4k video downloader' app and am downloading the full res New Zealand video now.

11. jamets515 thread starter macrumors regular

Aaah well either way 2K is still around about the same res as the rMBP screen...

12. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

13. Randomoneh macrumors regular

Randomoneh

Not really.
    2048 pixels horizontally vs. 2880 pixels horizontally.

14. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

when I play 4k videos on youtube using Safari on my base rMBP it plays with lag and itsn't smooth at all - do you encounter the same issue?

15. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

16. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The 13inch Pro has the worst screen out of the bunch. You are failing at trolling.

The higher res 13 Air is better than the Pro

17. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Worse color gamut? You should try out a MacBook Air.

18. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Thank you very much. I've seen this thread, but I mistakenly thought it was intended for mountain Lion only. I'll try it once I'll be next to the rMBP and update if it helped.

Thanks again! :)

19. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I am sorry but you guys just don't know what you're talking about. I GOT BOTH THE FRIGGIN RMBP AND THE MBP13 (EARLY 2011)!!!!!1

When I playback the same video I cant tell the difference at all except that one is on a 13 inch and the other is on a 15 inch. As far as color gamut goes. Well check out anandtech and he'll tell you that the rmbp has a worse color gamut than the older mbp's. something like 60-70% color gamut.

You know it pisses me off when people are trying to use logic (or whatever it is that you are using) to deduce what screen should look better when I have in fact both of the MBPs in question. Seriously how can you argue with a dude that is running them side by side.

20. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Because perception is subjective, someone could be running them side by side as well and report something else. Maybe YouTube videos look the same on both but that would be because they use massive compression. There's no possible way that an uncompressed 2k video would look the same on a ~720p monitor as on a ~2k monitor. YouTube is simply not a good benchmark to compare screens, that should be pretty obvious. That's like if you used 128kbps MP3s as a benchmark to compare sound systems.

Anandtech's color gamut numbers are for the 2011 15" MBP with hi-res matte display, you can't simply assume that the 13" MBP has the same color gamut. The reason the numbers are different for the rMBP is because Anand used the AdobeRGB 1998 color space while my link was with sRGB. sRGB should be the one that matters to us in this situation since that's what's used on the web (including YouTube) and in pretty much all applications in which you don't specify your color profile manually.

Also, the FACT TAHT YOU WRITE LIKE THAT!!!!!!11 kind of makes you lose credibility and I don't think people will automatically assume they will have the same perception of both displays as you.

For those interested: http://www.petapixel.com/2009/09/17/why-you-should-probably-use-srgb/

21. netromac macrumors newbie

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is still inaccurate. They have a smaller color gamut than some displays, but bigger isn't the only thing that matters here. Even with validation tests, it's always within a certain tolerance. Having a wider gamut doesn't guarantee a better result because like I said, the points are spread further apart. Displaying it as a solid is basically just supposed to help you visualize it by volume, but the plot is really made up of individual points. If it's measured within whatever consumer software, those programs don't measure that many points. They interpolate much of the plot to give you an approximate idea of its volume.

Clearly you've never dealt with this stuff, and that's okay. It's not always a more is better thing, and you should remember that these plots are somewhat interpolated from the maximum outputs of primary colors and minimum/maximum densities to get an idea of the overall gamut.

In any device you have a limited number of a addressable points, so it's not solid like you see it there. It's a collection of points. If it's spread out further, those points become further apart and dithering must be more aggressive. Dithering is somewhat noticeable on many Adobe RGB displays. Aside from this most content is served as sRGB content, and a display that serves 100% sRGB can actually do a decent job. It's just that you might be a bit further off from the actual color than if you had an Adobe RGB display with perfect calibration. Calibration is an even bigger factor with Adobe RGB displays, and most displays (including Apple) have no means of hardware level calibration. You just rewrite their profile which is a description of the device.

Anyway telling everyone that bigger is always better is just manufacturer spec kool-aid. It's a lot like advertising insane contrast ratios by raising the sharpening algorithm of the display beyond normal levels. In this case they improved by producing a display with a more useful gamut. Previously many of its addressable colors were basically wasted, and you cannot reclaim that by measuring it with a colorimeter. If you're going to shout at everyone, you should have some basic understanding of this stuff.

23. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

In your guide it showed FLV video options. How did you enable that? Having 480p instead of 360p can make a world of difference in some video sound quality.

24. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Here is my non technical view of the original quality on my rMBP..... Awesome.

Regardless of it being 2k or whatever, there is a notable difference between this resolution and 1080.

25. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

In the click to plugin setting go to media player> source selector> and enable include media sources.
    Also under the general page enable HTML5 media fallbacks