4k youtube videos and Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jerwin, May 17, 2018.

1. jerwin macrumors 68020

I usually use Safari for browsing. It's efficient. It doesn't drop frames. It has the features I want to use for ordinary web browsing.

But Safari doesn't support youtube in 4k. So if I know a video is probably in 4k, I'll switch to chrome (using the secret "Develop" menu). Up to know, if the resolution of a youtube video was 1440p in Safari, it was probably 4k in chrome. So, I switched, unless the visuals weren't the point. But now, I'm realizing that even 1440p isn't available through Safari, so there's no "hey-- this video might be worth viewing in Chrome" hint.

Any ideas?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Any ideas?"

The only solution that I can see is to wait for future Apple hardware/software that DOES support 4k on YouTube.

Or... switch to a different browser that -might- work with 4k.

3. DanielDD macrumors 6502

YouTube uses VP9 for 4K videos. Safari uses HEVC. It’s just a matter of time until Google adds HEVC support or (less likely) Apple adds VP9 support to safari. Until then, not much you can do.

4. jerwin thread starter macrumors 68020

All I really want is a notification--"This video is viewable in 4k with chrome."

5. adonis3k macrumors 6502

6. GumaRodak macrumors newbie

it could be, that the bad google wants to force you to use google chrome browser for obvious reason :)

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

adonis wrote in 5 above:
    "Opera does the same as Safari no 4k option"

Hmmmm....
    I'm using a 2012 Mini running Low Sierra.

I just opened Opera, and went to YouTube.

I then entered "Sony 4k demo" in the search bar. A number of 4k videos appeared.

I selected one, and let it play.

I checked the "gear" icon for all the resolutions I could view in.

4k was one of them...

8. adonis3k macrumors 6502

ah yeah it does now for some reason, although I did update it after sometime lol