Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwhite9185

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Surrey UK
Having a (moderately) popular YouTube channel, I was looking forward to uploading in 4K 60FPS when I got my hands on the iPhone X.

However, when trying it out last weekend, I couldn't help but notice that the image stabilisation is almost non existent? I tried a couple of test videos with 1080p 60fps and things seemed as they were with my 7 Plus, so it seems to be purely a 4K issue, rather than a hardware fault. Also, it doesn't seem as smooth as 1080p60.

Is there a hidden setting or is this just a feature of 4K60? I've watched a few YouTube videos shot in 4K60 on the X, and they seem a lot better than what I have.

I also tried 4K24, and that looked awful - almost unwatchable. Viewing on a 5K iMac bought in Jan 2017, so not sure it would be a hardware issue there. My only other thought is could it be an iMovie on MacOS issue? Although viewing the raw files in Quicktime don't seem to look any better.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Ok, so here's a really crappy video I just did side-by-side. One is using the stock iPhone X camera and same camera using the DJI Osmo stabilizer. The other is in FILMIC PRO and then using the Osmo. Lastly are all four videos independently.

Yea yea, I know, quality is crappy...I'm not a pro!

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Ok, so here's a really crappy video I just did side-by-side. One is using the stock iPhone X camera and same camera using the DJI Osmo stabilizer. The other is in FILMIC PRO and then using the Osmo. Lastly are all four videos independently.

Yea yea, I know, quality is crappy...I'm not a pro!

Wow, that's incredible. So to clarify, the first two split screens are: stock video app + Osmo hardware stabilizer and then the Filmic Pro software + Osmo hardware stabilizer, right?

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Wow, that's incredible. So to clarify, the first two split screens are: stock video app + Osmo hardware stabilizer and then the Filmic Pro software + Osmo hardware stabilizer, right?

Correct. First two are stock in 4K at 60fps and using the gimbal. The second is FILMIC Pro and then using the gimbal.

Sorry for the poor quality, but I literally just did them and updated with better captions. iMovie only lets you do so much. If I had Pro, I could've done all four on the same screen. :)

On Saturday when it's light out, I do some comparisons outside if you want.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thanks for the info, wow, it's just astounding how good the hardware stabilized video looks. No sweat on the quick video, it did a great job of illustrating the difference.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Thanks for the info, wow, it's just astounding how good the hardware stabilized video looks. No sweat on the quick video, it did a great job of illustrating the difference.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The gimbal works wonders. I thought the stock camera was stabilize somewhat but apparently it's not that great.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I was literally just trying to look this up yesterday. Didnt see a clear answer. Thought I read last year it wasnt stabilized in 4k.

Anybody?

Reactions: tmaxxtigger

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Lens stabilization can only compensate for a small amount of movement. This is even true for $1,000+ Canon pro lenses. That’s why it works best for photography. Gimbals can make up for a lot more movement. The larger the gimbal, the more movement it can compensate for.

Reactions: Jumpie

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Lens stabilization can only compensate for a small amount of movement. This is even true for $1,000+ Canon pro lenses. That’s why it works best for photography. Gimbals can make up for a lot more movement. The larger the gimbal, the more movement it can compensate for.
I’m sure a gimbal is way better but I specifically tested 1080p stabilization in my 7 plus and was pretty impressive compared to non stabilized sources.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Ok, so I've done a new video with all four corners for better viewing to give you an idea how iPhone X stabilizes video. What I've found is that using FILMIC Pro competes slightly with the built-in OIS using the stock camera. They are all shot in 4K at 60fps:
  • Upper Left - stock camera
  • Upper Right - FILMIC Pro
  • Lower Left - stock camera with gimbal
  • Lower Right - FILMIC Pro with gimbal
Let me know your thoughts.

jwhite9185

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Surrey UK
Here is my video filmed in 4K60. May not work due to it being set to private though (not set to be released on my channel for a couple of months yet)

If you compare it to my previous videos shot in 1080p60, it’s nowhere near as stable, or smooth. Could it be that iMovie hasn’t been upgraded yet, therefore only rendered in 30fps?

Also it only appears to be in 1440 as opposed to 2160, but that’s more a YouTube issue than Apple.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I’m sure a gimbal is way better but I specifically tested 1080p stabilization in my 7 plus and was pretty impressive compared to non stabilized sources.

Perhaps with a 12 megapixel sensor, the phone can use a combination of optical stabilisation for minor vibrations, and electronic stabilisation by cropping the centre 1080p portion of the 8mp sensor? 1080p is about 2mp so you’d have a fairly big frame to give capacity for extra stabilisation. 4K is around 8mp so very little leeway for electronic stabilisation?

Would be interesting to see some comparisons between 1080p and 4K on eg IPhone 8+ and IPhone X, and maybe different situations - walking/running to show how it damps different amounts of movement

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you compare it to my previous videos shot in 1080p60, it’s nowhere near as stable, or smooth. Could it be that iMovie hasn’t been upgraded yet, therefore only rendered in 30fps?

Also it only appears to be in 1440 as opposed to 2160, but that’s more a YouTube issue than Apple.

Can't see the video since its marked private.

Unless its a hardware limitation on my end iMovie only supports 4k at 30 fps. 60 fps will be lost in the export. I'm currently exporting a 4k 60fps video to verify however the fact it offered 1080@30, 1080@60 and just "4K" makes me think that 4K is at 30fps (obviously because its even more odd to offer 60 and not 30 due to file size and playback compatibility constraints).

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
At 4k, both the X and the 8 + can only use lens stabilisation (hardware) because there aren't spare pixels to software crop and stabilise, this works only in 1080p and I'm sticking with it. (it records a little more than 1080p in this mode)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
At 4k, both the X and the 8 + can only use lens stabilisation (hardware) because there aren't spare pixels to software crop and stabilise, this works only in 1080p and I'm sticking with it. (it records a little more than 1080p in this mode)

I generally do the same.

However for maximum quality (which I think the OP is more leaning toward) you'd be better of shooting in 4k and stabilizing in post (although stabilizing while shooting using a device above is preferable) along with any other editing.

Or what I generally do for higher quality shoot in 4k and downsampling to 1080p and stabilizing in post. This will net you better colors via chroma subsampling and higher level of detail then you could natively record 1080p at.

jwhite9185

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Surrey UK
Or what I generally do for higher quality shoot in 4k and downsampling to 1080p and stabilizing in post. This will net you better colors via chroma subsampling and higher level of detail then you could natively record 1080p at.

Think this method could be the way forward for the time being.

xaanaax

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Chester
Anyone knows if this is still the case with iPhone 11 Pro?
Currently my iPhone X doesn’t have video stabilisation in the 4K mode, only in 1080p...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.