4oD and other IE restricted media on Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gingerchrismc, May 26, 2008.

1. Gingerchrismc macrumors newbie

Is it possible to bypass the IE restriction on many media sites? 4oD and the Associated Press have IE as a requirement. I noticed ITV recently switched to Silverlight so is compatible now (with a download).
    Considering channel 4 offer some shows on iTunes then they can't have much problem with Apple DRM so if it's not possible to bypass it does anybody know if there are plans to release a Mac compatible version? Streaming is all I'm after, not download btw.

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Are they not compatible with Firefox?

It says when I try to click a file to play:
    "However, if you are using Firefox 2+ (on a Windows PC) you can get a plugin from here which should allow you to watch the programmes on Channel4.com."

Your best bet is to use Firefox and install this plugin which will enable you to edit the user agent and spoof the website into thinking you're using IE 6 / 7

EDIT: just tried it with 4's 'watch online' section and it doesn't work, I'm guessing it NEEDS to be run on a Windows computer (because of wmv playback, flip4mac doesn't seem to work).

AP works OK for me. Make sure you've installed flip4mac and perian.

3. Diaresi macrumors regular

Pretty much all online video content requires WMA-DRM.

Apple won't create a freely licensed DRM scheme/won't license WMA-DRM.

:rolleyes:

(In other words no, you need Windows and Windows Media Player 11 installed...for 4oD at least)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not true.

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

In the case of 4oD, just using or pretending to use IE will not help. The videos are then played in Windows Media Player (not streamed like the mac compatible iPlayer).

They should just make a streaming site as I'm perfectly happy with the iPlayer as it is on Macs.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They already have a streaming site, but it uses WMV so it's not gonna work on the Mac.