4OD & iOS 5.1.1

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by roberac, Nov 7, 2013.

1. roberac macrumors newbie

As I now know the outcome of this gripe I guess posting it here is nothing more than info for those who may also get the problem I had and wonder if there is any resolution.
    4OD is an 'iPlayer' equivalent for Channel 4 in the UK. It ran quite well on my iPad 1, as you will all know the newest version of iOS that can be installed on this iPad is 5.1.1 - anyway the App was updated.....
    See my email to Channel 4 and their answer below....

My message to Channel 4 UK : This is a real catch 22 situation:
    I had 4od on my iPad 1 for a long time, now the update to 3.3 says it needs iOS 6 (I have 5.1.1 - as the latest and newest possible for an iPad 1) and to go to the app store for an earlier version of 4od. I did this and it loads it. However when I launch the app it AGAIN says I need iOS6, I go through it again - round in circles - still the same. I even uninstalled the 40D ap and reinstalled it, also not luck - round in circles again. This is a pathetic App problem - almost as bad as Apple locking out functionality from owners of earlier iPads (and iPhones as well)
    Your advice would be welcome.

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your email regarding the 4oD App on Apple devices.

We are aware that due to our recent update to optimise 4oD for iOs7 and the majority of contemporary devices, some older devices such as early versions of iPod Touch, the iPhone 3G and iPad 1 are no longer compatible with this app as they cannot support a recent version of iOs, meaning they can no longer run 4oD. Our app is available only on devices which are able to run iOS 6.1 and upwards.

We are sorry for any disappointment this may cause.
    If you require further information, feel free to email me back or visit http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/faq

Regards,

Noah Sinclair
    4oD Support

Channel 4 take no responsibility for third party websites

We've updated our 4oD site! You can now access a full list of all the programmes available on the service, please visit: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/all

To be the first to know about exclusive previews, new programmes, competitions and to watch 1000s of shows on 4oD from 30 days to 30 years old, click HERE to register with Channel 4

Unless of course the APP no longer works!!!!

roberac

2. TrevorHackett macrumors newbie

4od hate you....

I too was dissappointed to discover that c4 has taken the unique (and uniquely arrogant) decision amongst UK broadcasters to effectively write off a swathe of iPad, iPod and iPhone users.

Then I remembered that I had to fight my way through about 5 minutes of adverts at the beginning and at strategic points in the middle of any content I wanted to watch, and that anything I actually wanted to watch was on Netflix anyway without ads getting in the way.

C4 advertisers take note.....