Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
hi guys according to my research there is no way to put on a clean version of 5.0.1 no matter what, so if i am having issues and I want to put on a clean version and re-jailbreak that is not possible.

So I can either live with my buggy phone or upgrade to 5.1 stock?

Question is how do I get to stock? nothing seems to work like it used to everything gets a bit more complicated.. so I do not seem to be able to simply just restore and upgrade, what am I missing here?

Thanks !!!

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
hi guys according to my research there is no way to put on a clean version of 5.0.1 no matter what, so if i am having issues and I want to put on a clean version and re-jailbreak that is not possible.

So I can either live with my buggy phone or upgrade to 5.1 stock?

Question is how do I get to stock? nothing seems to work like it used to everything gets a bit more complicated.. so I do not seem to be able to simply just restore and upgrade, what am I missing here?

Thanks !!!

You can't restore it in iTunes? Does it give any sort of error? You may need to enter DFU mode first if it's not working. But yeah, you will lose the ability to jailbreak for now. I was just looking a couple days ago to see if anyone had figured out a way to downgrade to 5.0.1, but I guess there's no way yet.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
You can't restore it in iTunes? Does it give any sort of error? You may need to enter DFU mode first if it's not working. But yeah, you will lose the ability to jailbreak for now. I was just looking a couple days ago to see if anyone had figured out a way to downgrade to 5.0.1, but I guess there's no way yet.

there is no way probably wont be a way...

I am not looking to downgrade but to upgrade and that does not seem to work either...

apparently its not a simple upgrade when you have already jailbroken your phone...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You gave very little detail.
If it were me, I would download the stock IPSW for 5.1 to desktop, make sure my host file pointed to Apple, then option (Mac) or shift (PC) plus restore button and browse to the IPSW on desktop.
Make sure and choose set up as new and do not restore to backup for a "clean restore"

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Anyone able to direct to some info on how to go from JB to stock via upgrading the simple upgrade via itunes thing does not seem to work.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Anyone able to direct to some info on how to go from JB to stock via upgrading the simple upgrade via itunes thing does not seem to work.

Make sure your host file points to Apple
Type "gs.apple.com" into your browser
It should go to an Apple error page

If it goes to a Cydia page, open TinyUmbrella, Advanced Tab, uncheck set host file to Cydia

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
Are you getting errors when trying to do the upgrade via iTunes? Just saying "it doesn't work" does not help much. Also, how is you phone buggy? I was having some issues (caused by me) and was able to get them (for the most part) fixed.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Are you getting errors when trying to do the upgrade via iTunes? Just saying "it doesn't work" does not help much. Also, how is you phone buggy? I was having some issues (caused by me) and was able to get them (for the most part) fixed.

previously it was giving me tons of errors but i fixed my phone so I didnt need to do it.. yesterday I did not coz the mac wasnt recognizing the phone. I did everything... reinstalled itunes.. older verion.. apple mobile device thing.. anything u can think of and it wouldnt recognize it.. so whatever.. I managed to put it to 5.1 and I'll just run it stock for now.. and it recognizes it fine once it was stock...

Thanks !!

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
previously it was giving me tons of errors but i fixed my phone so I didnt need to do it.. yesterday I did not coz the mac wasnt recognizing the phone. I did everything... reinstalled itunes.. older verion.. apple mobile device thing.. anything u can think of and it wouldnt recognize it.. so whatever.. I managed to put it to 5.1 and I'll just run it stock for now.. and it recognizes it fine once it was stock...

Thanks !!

No problem, glad your phone is working for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.