4S 5.1.1 vs. 7.1.1

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Hey guys,

A quick question for you. My mom broke her 4S and is getting a new one from her friend which apparently has 5.1.1. She said she won't upgrade to iOS 7 because her current 4S (which broke) was a little sluggish, but she loved the UI and the features. She uses apps like WhatsApp and Viber for work and I've heard that Apple allows for older versions, so is that possible? Can she pull off 5.1.1 on her future 4S? She said she doesn't mind 7.1.1 if she has to but would prefer 5.1.1

Thanks.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Yes she may be able to pick up older versions. iOS 5 is missing a lot of features... If she can stand missing a lot then she should be fine.

Apple wouldn't be too happy though.

Comment

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Yes she may be able to pick up older versions. iOS 5 is missing a lot of features... If she can stand missing a lot then she should be fine.

Apple wouldn't be too happy though.
Thanks for the reply. So they don't force you anymore huh? I just remember this message in my memory: "This app requires iOS 6.0". Have they recently started allowing older downloads?

Comment

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for the reply. So they don't force you anymore huh? I just remember this message in my memory: "This app requires iOS 6.0". Have they recently started allowing older downloads?
Yes. Now it'll ask if you want to download the latest compatible version.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Supposedly they offer older versions now, but it still depends on whether or not the developer and/or Apple actually making a particular version available. At some point developers can and often do decide to make a new version that might not support something below iOS 6 or 7. But the version you already have, if you have one at that time, should still usually work (although not always).

Comment

Paddle1

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2013
That isn't how it works, "Last Compatible Verison" only works if your software is "up to date". EX. It would let you download iOS 5 apps for an iPad 1, but not for a 4S.

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm still able to download the latest compatible version for my iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1. Apps that never had a iOS 5.1.1 compatible version won't download, but the rest will. Also, finding a 4S with iOS 5.1.1 on it still is uncommon.

Comment

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Hey guys,

A quick question for you. My mom broke her 4S and is getting a new one from her friend which apparently has 5.1.1. She said she won't upgrade to iOS 7 because her current 4S (which broke) was a little sluggish, but she loved the UI and the features. She uses apps like WhatsApp and Viber for work and I've heard that Apple allows for older versions, so is that possible? Can she pull off 5.1.1 on her future 4S? She said she doesn't mind 7.1.1 if she has to but would prefer 5.1.1

Thanks.
The experience on 4S for iOS 7.1.1 is similar to 5.1.1

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What about this?
It seems like that app requires iOS 7 and perhaps doesn't have a last compatible version for earlier versions of iOS, or maybe doesn't have one designated to be available on previous iOS versions (since it seems that at least the developers have the ability to decide whether or not to offer a last compatible version, and which particular version that would be).

Comment

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I don't know about that, iOS 5 is 4S's flagship OS.
Well you said that your mother had ios 7 so she never updated to 7.1? .. It's amazingly better.. And I have no issues on it.. It is as smooth as 5.1.1.. So In my opinion .. Update..

Comment

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
That app never had an iOS 5 compatible version. Other apps, such as Facebook or Pages, download the last iOS 5.1.1 compatible version after a prompt.
Developers have the option not to provide the "last compatible" version if they wish.

Comment

Paddle1

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2013
It looks like it is up to the developer if they want to allow it, so you may or may not be able to install your apps.

Comment

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
So turns out if apps were introduced after iOS 5.1.1 then it says "iOS 6.0 is required to download this app", which makes sense because there was no iOS 5 version. This is in the case of google Hangouts. But if there was a version of that app during iOS 5 times then it allows you to download it. Pretty cool. Atleast older iOS still gets support.

----------

What about this?
Ofcourse that won't work. That app didn't have a iOS 5 version. If it did it would work. As mentioned in my above post. Try something like Instagram or Snapchat. It'll download right away.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So turns out if apps were introduced after iOS 5.1.1 then it says "iOS 6.0 is required to download this app", which makes sense because there was no iOS 5 version. This is in the case of google Hangouts. But if there was a version of that app during iOS 5 times then it allows you to download it. Pretty cool. Atleast older iOS still gets support.

----------

Ofcourse that won't work. That app didn't have a iOS 5 version. If it did it would work. As mentioned in my above post. Try something like Instagram or Snapchat. It'll download right away.
There's the potential that even if an app did have an earlier version its developer might not make it available still for whatever reason since it seems within their control as well.

Comment

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
There's the potential that even if an app did have an earlier version its developer might not make it available still for whatever reason since it seems within their control as well.
In other words it's an update! :)

Comment

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hey guys,

Thanks.
5.1.1 still has 720p60 recording. Subsequent versions have removed this feature to make owners upgrade to newer iPhone models. That is, if she wants to shoot slow-mo video, don't upgrade.

Comment

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
No way. The 4S handles iOS7 way better than the i4 does, but it still isn't anywhere near as nice an experience (ie fast/fluid) as iOS5.
Umm.. I never mentioned the iphone 4 anywhere.. I said on the 4S it's similar.. I know on the iphone it isn't.. o_O

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just commented on the fact that your original post described in so many words the definition of an upgrade! :)
Upgrade of what? And in what relation to what I was saying? I don't follow.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.