Resolved 4S activation issues? - Apple online purchase for AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anonymous Freak, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Anonymous Freak, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Alright, I'm still on an iPhone 3G, long since had my contract expire and am on month-to-month.

I ordered a 4S from Apple, and said it was to upgrade my existing phone, had to enter my phone number and all those goodies.

The phone arrived on Friday. I did the on-the-phone setup, thinking that would activate it. By Saturday morning, it still wasn't activated, so I did a "Restore" from iTunes on my computer using my 3G's backup, thinking it would restore it telling it to use my existing phone number, and that would activate it.

It's now Sunday afternoon, and it still isn't active.

So... If I cut down my 3G SIM and put it in, it should work fine. But what will happen on AT&T's end? Will they see that the included SIM was never activated and do something? (Note: I do plan on canceling AT&T primary service within a couple months, to switch to AT&T pre-paid (aka: GoPhone) and port my number to Google Voice - I'm prepared to pay the early termination fee - it will still be cheaper than paying AT&T the full contract price for two years - I'm just wondering if they will turn off my account early, or maybe I'll get lucky and they won't associate the 4S with my account, and NOT charge me early termination...)

2. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Alright, I just gave up and snipped my existing SIM and put it in, all is working now. It did run through activation, so AT&T isn't in the dark about me using the 4S.