Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bl00per

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
For my iPhone 4S (which will arrive on Friday), I used my Mom's upgrade. Is there anything different I would do when I activate it using iTunes? or do I just use my number, and do everything the same as if I was using my upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

bl00per

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
if you have a micro sim card just put it in the new phone and turn it on. no need ot hook it to itunes to activate it.

bl00per

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
This is my first smartphone, so I just have a regular sim, I believe they're shipping me a new microsim with the iPhone.

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
If you ordered the AT&T version through Apple make certain to activate it on the line you ordered it on first. It has to be activated with the original line or you will get a message that the numbers don't match. Your original line will then need a new Micro Sim as it will be deactivated. You will also need a new microsim for your line.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Don't put any other SIM in there until you activate it with the SIM that came with the 4S.

Do NOT call AT&T for any reason until you've done this.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
if you have a iphone 4 on your line and uses another persons account on that family plan to buy it. you just need to change sim cards. that's what I did and it worked great.

bl00per

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I ordered it direct from AT&T. So I assume I would put in the sim that comes with the 4S, and then call AT&T to activate?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I ordered it direct from AT&T. So I assume I would put in the sim that comes with the 4S, and then call AT&T to activate?

My recommendation is activate it with the sim that is in there first on your mom's number. Then that will be your mom's new sim card so take it out and put it in her phone (you might need a trip to the AT&T store for that if she isn't using a micro sim). Then you will need a new sim from the AT&T store to put in the iPhone for your number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.