4s arrives Friday & already thinking about exchanging.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moomba, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Moomba macrumors regular

I managed to pickup 2x 16gb 4S' that are due to arrive Friday for myself and my girlfriend. Thing is, I'm starting to question if I should just exchange mine for a 32gb model? I currently have a 16gb 3GS, and had a 16gb 3G before that, and in both cases I never used more than 8gb.

However, with iOS getting larger the amount of available space keeps going down to 13gb now without anything installed on it. I'm guessing it'll take up a bit more on the 4S as well due to Siri. Thing is, I hardly ever use the camera or video on the 3GS bc it's so slow and takes such poor pics so that's never really been a consideration I've had to deal with. Plus, I have a 64gb iPad that I use for video on trips, but 99% of the time it sits with barely 6gb used.

I really want to be able to get by with only 16gb (~13gb usable), but I'm really having 2nd thoughts. I know 64gb is both more than I'm willing to spend currently as well as overkill as I have seen with my iPad. Then again, I don't store any music on the iPad while I keep ~2gb of stuff I like on my 3GS currently.

I understand that everyone's usage and tastes are different, but I am curious to see what others think. I've always had 16gb and it's been plenty. I'm just afraid that at 8mp photos and 1080p video (when/if I use them) will really add up. Mind you, I have no issues with having to dump photos/video off the device regularly as I try to keep things organized.

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Obviously it's a very personal decision. I go with 16GB since it's only for one year. In addition it's so easy to change up what's on it, there's no need for more capacity in my case. My entire iTunes Library is on my network anyway. With NAS backup I'm fully secured.

If I didn't have a robust Apple network with several Macs, I'd probably buy a higher capacity iPhone.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I went to the 64GB b/c that's as big as it gets! lol Good luck with the exchange; I switched out a black 3GS for a white 3GS and it took 10 minutes at the Apple Store...:cool:

I have a 32GB iPhone 4 and I had to get rid of 13GB of pics/videos (downloaded everything to iPhoto) b/c it kept saying "low-memory" when I would update apps...

4. futch macrumors 6502

futch

I went with the 32GB version. Own a 16GB 3GS currently and I filled it up fast and constantly have to delete apps, photos, videos, etc. Apps are getting larger, OS is larger, Siri, etc. If you never filled up a 16, you will probably be fine, but 32GB will guarantee you do not run into any issues.

5. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

This would be my first iPhone, but I had a Samsung Vibrant before and was always downloading trailers (had avatar movie on it too!) and never went past 16 gigs. I stream data a lot and stuff and just don't see myself using a lot....even with iCloud.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Did you have access to Apple's app store? Apps alone will take up more GBs' than you would think.:eek:

7. Moomba, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

Moomba thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the courteous replies. Yup... that's kinda what I'm leaning toward myself. I know my girlfriend will be fine with 16gb as she makes me look like a memory hog!

There are two Apple stores within 45 minutes of me, but something tells me that them actually having a 32gb unit to exchange it with is going to be a problem. Here's hoping that mine arrives tomorrow (err... today/Thursday) so that I might have a shot at exchanging it at launch. Not looking forward to that, but I'm sure I'd get some amusing comments while in line! lol...

After reviewing the iPhone return policy it looks like there will be a 30day window to exchange it. I'm not sure how they'll handle it with all the new sales, but I suppose we shall see...

8. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Same boat.. seriously thinking about exchanging. The only reason I ever went past 16gb though was for medias that I converted to view on the phone. Without that, 16gb was plenty. But now with the new camera and other things you already mentioned, 32gb.. if they're still available on Saturday. If not, I'll keep the 16gb.

9. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

How many songs do you keep?

I have like 50 songs. So not a prob. for me.

10. futch macrumors 6502

futch

For the 1080p video alone I almost went 64 GB, but I have a 32 GB iPad and only fill it up when I put 4+ movies on it (plus all my apps/songs/photos). I think 32GB should be plenty for most users.

11. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Mm yeah you might be surprised I have own android and iPhone and most android apps that are like 3-6 mb are like 12-15mb in ios, plus those games man there like 360mb sometimes so better choose wisely

12. kozz macrumors member

I got a 32.

I just want 64 because its available, but the better half doesn't want me to spend 500 on a phone 399+warranty. Which makes sense.

I have been adding up the apps and what not that I want on it, and without movies and pictures I estimate 20gb left. Throw on a few movies at 1.25 each. I think that I will be fine.

Plus I have a 32gb HP touchpad that I can load up when traveling.

That is just my take on it. I still want the 64gb.

Maybe i'll call my local store in the AM and see if I can exchange and if they have one is stock, I can say "See it was meant to be"..

K

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You might want to setup an appointment with the genius bar. Remember to do a sync before you bring it in or they can transfer data for you (can take awhile); then the exchange takes about 20 minutes maximum. I returned my 4 32GB back in April and it was a piece of cake. Also, my wife returned a 3GS (had it for 4 days) to purchase her pre-ordered iPhone 4 and that took about 15 minutes...:cool:

14. kozz macrumors member

I wish I had an Apple store close by, about 1.5 hours I believe. My chances would be better.

Oh well that's 100 I can spend on the kids for x-mas.

15. futch macrumors 6502

futch

I got a 32gb. If after 10 days I think I'll need more space I can return it? It is 30 days opened or unopened? Thanks.

16. Moomba thread starter macrumors regular

According to the Apple iPhone return FAQ it's either opened or unopened.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Make sure you bring the box and all its contents. Don't think they have refurbs yet...:cool:

18. fiveainone, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

fiveainone macrumors 6502a

sweet! problem solved! I'll use it for 30 days and see if I really need 32gb.. excellent.

It only lists return, but I guess exchange is the same? http://store.apple.com/us/help/iphone#addinfo

19. omgwut macrumors 6502

I ordered the 16GB 4S as well. I considered doing the same thing, but between iCloud, wireless sync and just the general streamlining of the whole process of pushing content between devices with iOS I'm really not concerned about storage space at all. I'm not a packrat with my photos and videos either, 16GB holds a ton but the ones I want to keep will be moved to OSX and the rest will just get erased.

Being able to carry my whole music library would be nice, but I've already got a 32GB nano that I love. So whatever. My current dinosaur of a phone came with something like 22.5MB of storage space on it, so being my first smartphone this is still a mammoth upgrade for me no matter how I slice it.

20. lukta macrumors member

TBH you should be fine with the 16gb. I took like 400 photos on my ip4 (not S) and it only took up like 1.5gb. I currently have about 1000 songs, 4 movies, 550 pictures (some of those are actually videos though) and about 50 apps of varying sizes and I've never come close to the max. If I do then I just take off a movie, because when will I ever watch ALL 4? I just like to have some variety though.

Hope this helps. Save the extra $100 and give it to someone who needs it!

Edit: On my canon rebel t3 I take full size photos (4272X2848) and recently took like 600 pictures and like 20 videos and that only took up about 6gb. What I'm saying is that you'd have to do something crazy (or have a ton of music) to fill up your 16gb.

21. eggmclovin macrumors member

eggmclovin

You cannot return Online purchases to a brick and mortar Apple Store. Trust me on this as a past employee and its spells it out in the Return policy for the online store. Sometimes exceptions are made but on a launch day who knows.

22. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

So can we exchange with the online store within 30 days?

23. christyn macrumors 6502a

THIS
    Honestly, if you've been fine so far, the 4S will be no different. I have about the same on my iP4 as the above post and have never even come close.

24. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

walk to the front of the line. Find someone that is going to buy a 16gb. Show them your unopened 16gb and receipt then ask them to buy you a 32gb and trade them... thats all I got as I certainly would not wait in line for a phone especially if I already had one.

25. UTeach macrumors newbie

Anybody know the answer to this question? How many apps can a 16GB iPhone hold? I will have no music on my iPhone. I will take a lot of pictures and video randomly, but I always move them off the device.

I just want to know how many apps a 16GB iPhone can hold. I know apps range in size, but I'm just talking a ballpark figure.