4s back to iOS 6 from 8 -- is it possible?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MacProFreak, Nov 1, 2014.

1. MacProFreak macrumors regular

My 4s just sucks with iOS 8. Everything is slow and the texting is very buggy. The most annoying bug is when I flip it horizontally to type. Only the text box moves down, the rest of the screen stays portrait. WTF?

I have a file I've downloaded called iPhone4,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw

Can I slap this file back into the phone via iTunes successfully, or will it brick my phone?

Thanks!

2. MacProFreak thread starter macrumors regular

Not even in restore mode? Why not?

3. iRoRo macrumors regular

iRoRo

No longer signed by apple. Think ssh blobs needed (whatever they are) :)
    Not sure if this can be done via jailbreak though..anyone?

4. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Even with the SSH blobs saved on Cydia or locally won't do anything.

If it was a IP4, you have your SSH blobs and it's possible to revert back, I recently did it with iFaith.

5. stoney05 macrumors regular

I don't think the shsh blobs work anymore. Chances are he wouldn't have them anyway.

6. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Because it's a two year old operating system

7. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Basically, it's impossible to downgrade to ANY version besides 8.1 for 4s. Same applies to all iPhones after 4s too.

8. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I think Pangu's new Restore feature supporting iOS 4-8 might.

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

No. Not possible.

10. MacProFreak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies, and excuse my ignorance but I don't know what "shsh blobs" are. Can anyone clarify in lay man's terms?

So seems I am beeing **forced** to buy a new phone because of this iOS 8 POS that transformed my phone into a... blob. Slow as goo.

Thanks apple... I'm not happy about this at all.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Your phone was released in 2011.

Also you're not being forced to do anything. You willingly updated.

12. MacProFreak thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, 3 years in tech is like 100 in life... I'm aware of that. But at the same time, not being able to restore a mistake (updating the phone's OS) seems to me to be a disguised way apple induces you buy new hardware.

Made an upgrade (expecting improvements), was a mistake. Want to go back after a couple of weeks or so? Nah, no can do sucker, buy new hardware. Doesn't seem very Ethical to me.

13. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

it's not about ethics. you're making this a bigger deal than it actually is.

See, people have this misconception issue where they feel that the things that exist in their world have to be tailored exactly to them and that the wants and needs of the majority of consumers do not apply to them. They also feel that when these needs aren't met that it is personal.

Here's the thing: iOS updates aren't strictly feature upgrades. They are enhancements to the way the OS operates, and are also heavily geared toward security. In the mobile world, threats can appear very quickly. Using an outdated operating system only makes you more at risk for these types of problems.

If you COULD go back to 6, you'd be temporarily happy. You'd have some improvements to speed and what not, but you'd be without most apps (which are also updated to fix bugs and security flaws) and all the new iOS features. Not to mention, you'll have to get a new phone at some point in the future.

This is not an "ethical" problem in the slightest. Again, this is you taking things personal. Apple is not letting everyone else downgrade except you. They are focusing their energies on new technologies and features. They certainly are not focusing their energies on allowing people to downgrade to a 2 year old OS. They'd much rather focus on the people who want to upgrade.

20% of Android users are on 4.0 or earlier. 4.0 was released in 2011. Many of these users would update if they could.

14. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

idk what your problems are with the 4S. Mine's better than ever.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Then I suggest you read the very first line of the very first post in this thread.

16. 1member1 macrumors 6502

try to restore to iOS 8.1 but don't recover from backup and see if you still have issues. usually it helps a lot especially with old phones.

17. sziehr macrumors 6502a

There used to be an unofficial way with tiny umbrella. The app would sign the IPSW for you so you could restore to no longer signed IPSW files. Do some googling for Tiny Umbrella. I have no used it my self however it was the go to app for quite some time for issues like this. I know it does support IPSW in the 6.xx range.

18. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

IF I were you, I'd check Swappa for an iPhone 4S or 5 with iOS 6 installed. Be prepared to pay a little more though.

Personally, I wish Apple would have never done iOS 7 or 8. They were both horrible at launch (8 still is). 7.1.2 on the 5S actually runs quite well. Its to bad we're not on iOS 6.3 right now with the same look.

19. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

What about Pangu?

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Things like that don't work in phones after iPhone 4.

21. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

That is all I cared about. I am actually avoidng upgrade my iPad mini 1 to iOS 8, simply iOS 8 runs like crap on that thing. i upgraded then downgraded immediately. i give a little craps about what else you said, if my device runs like a crap, what is the point for everything else?

what kind of enegies would Apple wast for allowing people to downgrade? They aren't support the 2 year old OS anyway? Apple just have to keep signing old firmware. Apple is signning old firmware for older devices. They are still signning iOS 1 for iPhone 2G, so why is things suddenly changed with newer devices?

With Android improving speed along with updates, it is worth to upgrade. With iOS dragging down older devices, Android managed to lower hardware requirement with updates. So yea, Android users would want upgrade if the newer updates won't slow their devices down.

22. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

With Android you could downgrade all the way back to the original OS it came with. For an example a Galaxy Nexus which was released can be downgraded back to ICS even though the phone is running Jellybean. But I am not sure who wants to do that.

23. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

That's only for Nexus devices or sometimes "development" devices. Trying to downgrade the boot loader (to downgrade the OS) on most android phones will result in a hard bricked device.

24. ajay96 macrumors 6502

What exactly does the Pangu restore function do?