4S Backing different?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DragonUKHK, Oct 18, 2011.

1. DragonUKHK macrumors member

Hi there,

After feeling my 4 and 4s it seems like when I tap the back of the 4s I get a hollow like sound then the 4 has a more solid sound. Is this down to the innards being changed around or materials being differnt? Or just my phone with this hehe?

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

Dont think anyone really cares about this as it does not represent a problem.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There was another thread discussing "Springiness", theory was that the new linear vibrate motor changes the way the phone resonates. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

4. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

You can believe that if they'd changed the back material to something less shatter prone, they would have made a big deal about it at the keynote.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think some of us have WAY too much time on on hands

6. DragonUKHK thread starter macrumors member

If you don't like what I said there is no need for you just to flame me, it was an just something I found.

The area was just the left hand side on the back half way down. Just sounds more plasticy than glass.

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hi there, Ive noticed the exact same thing. iPhone 4 has a hard glass knock when you tap it, the 4S feels, like you said, kinda like plastic.

Im not complaining its just...................different.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Have you picked it up shook it to see if you hear a rattle?:eek:

9. DragonUKHK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for telling me, so it's probably like it for all new iPhones 4s maybe something differnt inside being placed differently.

----------

I dont hear a rattle no

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That would mean admitting the first model (still being sold) is prone to shattering. Unlikely.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But given the volume of threads here about the back glass of the iPhone, I'd say it is more prone to cracking/shattering. I'm not saying that the 4S has a different material on back but there's plenty of posts about the back cracking.

12. DragonUKHK thread starter macrumors member

It could well be a slightly different material. However i can only notice it really on the back above where the sim card slot is. If I tap there it seems like its not in place properly as when I place my thumb on the edge then tap there is no strange noise.