4S battery case with 30 pin connector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JBrace1990, May 6, 2012.

1. JBrace1990 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a good iPhone 4S battery case.

For me, the qualifications i'm looking for are the following:
    • Protects entire back (no apple logo cutout)
    • Protects entire sides, including volume
    • Uses a 30 pin connector
    • 1500+ mah

It seems fairly simple to ask for, but I've been unable to find one that full satisfies all 4 qualifications. The capacity is something I could deal with being less if it works with all the other ones.

The reason for each of these is simple. I want it to actually protect my phone and NOT just give me more battery. There's at least 1 I've found that fits 3 of the above ones, but because it doesn't protect the sides, I would never go with it.

The main reason for the 30 pin connector is that I have many cables that I use all for different reasons/places, as well as accessories. I wouldn't be able to use my phone in my car in it's case if I didn't have a 30 pin connector.

So does anyone have any suggestions or cases like this that they've come across? I would prefer larger batteries, but at this case anything that fits the other 3 and has at least some battery is fine for me.

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The mophie juice pack air/plus are the best battery cases on the market.

3. JBrace1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, neither of them support the 30 pin apple connector.

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I've been looking for something like this for quite a while myself. I ended up getting the Tekkeon MyPower but it's not exactly what you're looking for (the bottom portion is removable so you can use it with your dock and dock connector cables). I was using it for a bit but found it annoying to have to remove the bottom part to dock my phone at night.

The other one that I seriously considered was this:

http://www.iwowcase.com/iphone-4-backup-battery-charger-with-clip-black-p-3451.html

It's cheap and meets all of your criteria but the dock connector on the bottom is backwards and off center (meaning that it won't work with a dock). If you just want to use it with cables though, it might be ok for you.

5. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

When you say "support the 30 pin apple connector" what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean so you have access to the 30 pin connector?

The Mophie juice pack air does have access to the 30 pin connector. (You can only purchase this model from the Apple store)

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H...ir-for-iphone-4s-product-red?fnode=MTY1NDA0NA

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

That's the mophie I had as well and yes, it does give you access to the 30-pin connector since the bottom piece is removable; however, I found the case rather heavy and bulky and the buttons were hard to get to because they were so recessed. The Tekkeon is much better in that area but the mophie is by far the more popular product.

7. JBrace1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

psywzrd - Thanks for the recommendations. The iwow one is VERY similar to what I want, and I'm seriously considering it.

xAnthony - Unfortunately the one you gave me still seems to charge via mini-USB. It seems you can take the bottom off, but I would rather one that you don't need to (it just adds needless wear and tear to the case).

By what I mean, I mean that I have several cables throughout my house, car, etc., all of which use the standard apple dock to connect to the phone and charge it. If I had to use the mini-usb cables, then I would need to re-buy all kinds of accessories.

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Well, the whole point of a battery case is to avoid charging while you're out. If you're still going to charge the case while you're in the car, then what's the point of having the case? You get a charging cable with the case and you could always purchase additional ones from the dollar store (or eBay) if need be. I purchased a micro USB cable for $1.15 at my local dollar store just to keep as an extra. I never use it, but it's nice to know I always have a spare.

My advice to you would be to research a little more into that brand and make sure it's a quality case. I've personally never heard of it, and before I made my Mophie purchase I did some extensive research as I was on the fence about a lot of the different battery products.

With rumors of Apple switching to the micro dock, all those 30-pin connectors will soon be useless anyways. At least once you upgrade.

Good luck with your purchase and I'm sure you'll be happy with any battery case you decide to buy. They definitely are a must-have case for any heavy iPhone user.

Cheers!

9. OSUengineer macrumors member

My modification does support the connector. And with a bumper case you would be good to go. The original looks bad but the new one is getting there. You could use as big of a battery as you like as well. I used two replacement iphone batteries.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1358820

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I agree with what xAnthony said about the iwow case. I had never heard of iwow before I started researching battery cases and I don't know one person that has an iwow case; however, that doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Like I mentioned, I started out with the Mophie but ended up returning it and getting the Tekkeon. The Tekkeon seeems to be well-made and it feels much better in my hand than the Mophie did. I'm not really using it anymore though, but that's only because I haven't been using my phone as much during the day and battery life hasn't been a problem. I would definitely prefer to have a 30-pin connector on the bottom of the case too, but the iwow wouldn't work for me anyway because the connector is backwards and off-center.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you get something that works for you. Good luck!