4S Camera, I am underwhelmed?...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simplemind, Oct 19, 2011.

1. simplemind macrumors member

UT (for the time being, cant leave soon enough)
    Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by the still pictures from the 4S? I was taking some photos of my old 4 to sell on a classified site and when I imported the images to iPhoto, I took a look and they are really, no better than the 4 (to me anyhow) the photo looks quite grainy in plenty of light (and yes, the plastic is off the phone) colors look washed out and the clarity is just not there IMO. Hopefully I will see an improvement in direct daylight. I guess I was expecting to much??.....

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Like you said, maybe you were expecting too much.

I have used the camera on the 4 and 4S and I can see a good increase in quality with the 4S. It will not replace my P&S or DSLR but it is sure nice to have in a pinch.

Not everyone will be happy with the 4S

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Very Low Light Hand Held

Here's an example test shot I just pulled off for you.

Very low light, main just from table lamp to the far right and the LCD from the laptop. I have two windows behind me in this shot but it's late afternoon on a rainy cold and fall-like day in Ohio. Again, low light.

Here's the exif from the shot: Note ISO 320
    1/20s f/2.4 at 4.3mm iso 320

I'd say the NR algorithm inside is good. Especially Chroma Noise. Luma, well, you don't want the in camera/phone NR to process that out. Removes too much detail.

This is straight from my phone outside the edits to crop and shot the details, etc..
    [​IMG]

6. flyboy0 macrumors newbie

everyone just chill. its a camera phone at the end of the day. its not gonna be lights out like a P&S. relax.

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Part of the problem with all cell phone cameras is the small sensor they use to capture the images.

When you pack more megapixels onto any sensor, you get more noise when the photo is poorly exposed. Packing 8 MPixels onto a small cell phone camera sensor exacerbates this problem

This is what happened in the photo that you posted. Part of the image is properly exposed (and doesn't have much noise)... other parts show a lot of noise.

For all the fuss Apple is making over the iPhone 4S camera... it really isn't any better than a low end (~$100) ultra-compact point-and-shoot camera.

This isn't a dig against Apple...there are just limits to what you can do with components small enough to fit inside a cell phone.

There is a reason the best cameras are still big and heavy. Physics.

8. simplemind thread starter macrumors member

UT (for the time being, cant leave soon enough)
    I am chill, like I said, I was just expecting a bigger difference over the 4 with the way Apple was pimping it. I am ok with the fact that it is a phone after all, and when I did get my 4, I ditched my P&S as its the camera I always have with me.
    I do have to say, the digital zoom is vastly better in quality than the 4.

9. flyboy0 macrumors newbie

Exactly! People need to just enjoy the 4S and stop wanting it to be as good as a P&S because it will NEVER be exactly what you want. The camera is good. Just enjoy it.

10. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

The picture is useless with a comparator picture from an iPhone 4 (or other cameras) to see how it stacks up. How can you judge 'bigger difference'?

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

For a cell phone camera it's very good. A good point and shoot camera will still be better. But you know what they say about which is the best camera? The one that you have with you.