4s Camera only focuses if I tap the screen first....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scousers, Oct 24, 2011.

1. scousers macrumors member

I have noticed that when taking photos, the camera will not autofocus when I take a photo just by pressing the shutter button or volume up button.

I have to physically tap the screen at the focus location for it to do so. Even if it detects a face.

Is the normal? Any tips?

Thanks

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Mine does this in Video. I have to tap where i want to focus.. .kinda defeats the purpose.

3. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Mine does not require any taps for it to focus. In fact I briefly can see the blue square over the area it auto-chose to focus on. Only if I want it to focus on a different area do I need to tap the screen.

If yours never auto focuses I'd say there is a problem with it.

Michael

4. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Why would we care if it auto-focuses before we start shooting? That defeats the entire purpose of auto-focus. You arent supposed to have to keep focusing with a tap while recording - thats called manual focus.

5. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Recording??? What the heck are you talking about?

The entire "purpose" of auto focus is to not have to touch anything: you know, point-and-shoot. My iPhone 4S does that. If yours doesn't it is defective.

The OP mentioned PHOTOS not videos. Videos lock the focus from the get-go. But the OP is not about videos.

Michael

6. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

My mistake, I was referring to my first comment on accident.