4S Camera Window - Plastic or Glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarcBook, Oct 28, 2011.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hey guys,

I'd like to get your opinion on the material used for the 4S camera window on the back of the phone. The iPhone 4 has a plastic window that appears to have an anti-reflective/UV coating, meaning that reflections appear purplish when examining the camera.

The 4S, however, seems to have a different type of shielding for its camera - as far as I can tell, there's no more purple reflection in the lens window. Do you think Apple have changed the window to toughened glass with the new model?

Why am I asking about this? When I owned an iPhone 4, I quickly noticed that the camera window is flush with the back glass, meaning that it's possible to scratch it easily on rough surfaces (because it's plastic, unlike the rest of the back). There have been threads and photos in the past showing this phenomenon.

I used my iPhone 4 with a back protector in order to raise the camera up a tiny bit. It did the job perfectly and the camera was in pristine condition when I sold it to my friend yesterday. So far, with my 4S I've done the same. I would, however, like to be rid of the protector altogether.

I know there's a lot of debate over whether or not protectors are worth it/necessary, so here are the points that I'd like your opinions on:

• If you've owned a 'naked' iPhone 4/4S, how's your camera window looking? Have you experienced any scratching?
    • Do you think Apple have made the new camera window stronger, reducing the risk of scratching?

2. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I'm quite sure it's plastic. I noticed the lens coating color difference too (my partner has a 4). I'm getting a cover solely for the purpose of protecting the camera lens. I don't want a cover but I want the phone to be a useful camera... :-(