4s Defective Home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RickG, Oct 15, 2011.

1. RickG macrumors regular

Got my black 4s 64 gig on Friday night- right out of the box the home button took 3 presses and would not turn the screen on- on the 4th press , which I had to do with more pressure the screen came on- after playing around I determinded that it is the hardware- the button takes a "hard" press in order to work 100% of the time- I'm comming from a 4 so I'm used to a specific pressure to work the home button- I went to ATT store and tried several other 4s's and they all worked fine just like my old 4 - while the home button works if I press it hard and is more accurate if I specifically press the bottom section on the button the top section is a 50%/50% at best- really disapointed- spent almost two hours on the phone with Apple because I pre-ordered thru the online store and got a very nice lady who is sending me a new 4s- **** happens but wondering if anyone else is noticing that their home button is not as good as their 4? guess whoever built mine was half asleep !!!

2. chuffman15 macrumors regular

just a quick question.
    did you take the front and back clear screen covers off first?

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

4. cinek macrumors 6502

^ this - I sitll have the front cover on and it's not easy to get the home button working with it - if you want to keep the front cover on, lift it up a bit so that you can press the button properly...

5. RickG thread starter macrumors regular

yes the protective covers are off- unfortunatley the button is not working correctly

6. gonzalezv993 macrumors newbie

4S Home Button Defective

I pre-ordered my iPhone 4S and received it Friday. Upon opening my boyfriend noticed that the home button was off. It was not aligned correctly. Initally I thought I had placed the protective film on the 4S incorrectly, but that had nothing to do with it. Needless to say I was pretty upset. I made an appointment at the Genius Bar at a location that had an opening. When I arrived I was told that the Apple 16G in black and white were sold out! I was afraid I would have to wait until a new shipment arrived. When my appointment was up the Apple Employee was so helpful! He initally did not see the issue but took it in the back. When he arrived back he said he did indeed see the same issue. He replaced my 4S a new one. When I inquired about hearing that they were sold out he advised me that although they were indeed out of stock at that location they have a batch set aside for issues like this. He also let me exchange my screen covers for a new batch since I had used one already on the defective iPhone 4S.