Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kar120c

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
After upgrading my 4S to IOS 8.XX I have a strange issue with gps and all localization services:
sometimes is very difficult to obtain the position in the various apps and I noticed that the gps symbol is not visible in the upper right of the screen.
If I turn on Wifi with or without any connection the gps symbol is always visible and the localization is almost instantaneus.
Now with IOS 8.3 the phone works very well but the issue is still here.
Anyone has noticed this?

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
After upgrading my 4S to IOS 8.XX I have a strange issue with gps and all localization services:
sometimes is very difficult to obtain the position in the various apps and I noticed that the gps symbol is not visible in the upper right of the screen.
If I turn on Wifi with or without any connection the gps symbol is always visible and the localization is almost instantaneus.
Now with IOS 8.3 the phone works very well but the issue is still here.
Anyone has noticed this?

Well getting location through Wi-Fi is a ton easier than through GPS. Usually the phone will just use the Wi-Fi network's reported location (through its IP) which is pretty much instant. GPS takes a long ass time by itself to get a signal, and that's why it's AGPS in these phones; it uses the cell towers to triangulate your location vaguely and then GPS to narrow it down. If you have a weak signal to the cell towers then yeah it'll take a while because the phone has no idea where to look for satellites and the cell towers aren't helping.

It brings me back to the old days of using my TomTom devices; they'd occasionally get updates called GPSInfo that contained a week or so's worth of data specifying where in the sky the satellites will be at any given point in time in that range. The updates were optional though, and if you didn't install them, it would still get a signal but would take up to a minute to do it. I imagine your phone's dealing with the same issue if for whatever reason the cell towers aren't doing their job.

kar120c

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, but my Iphone get location almost instantly with the wifi on but not connected with any network
Well getting location through Wi-Fi is a ton easier than through GPS. Usually the phone will just use the Wi-Fi network's reported location (through its IP) which is pretty much instant. GPS takes a long ass time by itself to get a signal, and that's why it's AGPS in these phones; it uses the cell towers to triangulate your location vaguely and then GPS to narrow it down. If you have a weak signal to the cell towers then yeah it'll take a while because the phone has no idea where to look for satellites and the cell towers aren't helping.

It brings me back to the old days of using my TomTom devices; they'd occasionally get updates called GPSInfo that contained a week or so's worth of data specifying where in the sky the satellites will be at any given point in time in that range. The updates were optional though, and if you didn't install them, it would still get a signal but would take up to a minute to do it. I imagine your phone's dealing with the same issue if for whatever reason the cell towers aren't doing their job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.