4S is here, let's talk carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjfan82, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mjfan82 macrumors regular

This thread is designed to talk about the pro's and con's of each carrier of the new Iphone 4S. Let's leave all the other "It should have been a 5" talk in the other threads. My biggest concern with ATT is the removal of there unlimited DATA plan....any others have input on Sprint and Verizon's plans?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I left Sprint years ago for AT&T, and now I'm back on Sprint and have been for 6 months or so ... Where I live, their service is better and the plans are less expensive.

3. Jmclark macrumors regular

It appears that data plans on Verizon can be shared with a family plan (not sure though), but for AT&T you have to buy a separate data plan for each iPhone. This seems to make iPhone family plans cheaper on Verizon, if you have one person who uses quite a bit of data but someone who doesn't use as much.

No idea about Sprint though.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Blah blah blah PICK THE BEST COVERAGE blah blah blah

5. kulimer macrumors 6502

AT&T on the East coast is bad, on the West coast is pretty good. sim card (not available on Verizon or Sprint) is good to travel abroad, you can sell it abroad, too. Your Verizon and Sprint phone will be useless.

6. rmt5 macrumors member

Pros for AT&T include better battery life (due to GSM vs. CDMA), and the faster download speeds as detailed in the keynote. There are also a bunch of GSM vs. CDMA pros and cons that can be googled.

AT&T and Verizon end up being very comparable in price, as I understand it. Sprint ends up being about $10-$15 cheaper, depending on plans chosen. Of course, the big plus for Sprint is the unlimited data plan, although most people won't go over the 2Gb level for AT&T or Verizon, anyway.

7. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

All of the benefits a carrier may have are worthless if you don't get coverage.

Pick the carrier that has the best service and reception where you spend the majority of your time. Then go form there.

8. BuckDot macrumors member

A lot of employers will offer a discount with a carrier or 2...

if I didn't get a hefty verizon discount I'd def be with Sprint.

9. mjfan82 thread starter macrumors regular

there was talk that some networks are unable to allow you to talk on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. is this true for verizon and sprint? i want to pick a carrier that will allow me to maximize the fullest capabilities of the 4s

10. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

That's definitely true for Verizon.

11. rmt5 macrumors member

Neither Sprint nor Verizon can (with certain exceptions, but likely not this one) surf and talk at the same time. It's a CDMA vs. GSM thing again.

12. BuckDot macrumors member

Yes, it is true for Verizon and Sprint.

I think the reason is that they use their 3G network for data only, and their rev A or 1X network or whatever for voice, so you can't have both radios active at the same time.

13. mjfan82 thread starter macrumors regular

that's what I figured. so now the question is, would you want unlimited data or the ability to use phone and internet at the same time.....i'm not sure if the latter is a feature I use all the time...

14. eekcat macrumors 6502a

They've stated that the 4S will be a world-phone, capable of both GSM and CDMA. Verizon and Sprint already offer world-capable phones that take SIM cards (issued by them, even -- only for use when using the phones in GSM-only areas). It'll be the same phone across the board... So for those who have crappy GSM reception, but still need to keep GSM-ability to roam abroad (like me), Verizon/Sprint is a good option. The whole simultaneous voice/data thing and HSPA+ is a whole different story though...

15. mom333 macrumors regular

I don't see that being accurate about Verizon. I just checked their website. A family plan still requires data for EACH line. At Verizon, the cheapest data plan for an iPhone is $30 each.

I'm sticking with AT&T because we have the most inexpensive family plan. With two iPhones ($59.99), unlimited texting ($30), and the data plans ($15 + $15) my pre-tax, pre-fee, pre-company discount amount is $120. With Verizon, I'm looking at cheapest family plan ($69.99), unlimited texting ($30), and the data plans ($30 + $30) the amount is $160.

I hear Verizon has better call coverage where I live, but to me it isn't worth $40 more a month for supposedly better call coverage and no ability to talk and surf at the same time. Granted, Verizon plan gives you more minutes, but we don't use the minutes we have now (they go into roll over and we currently have over 1,200 minutes in that pot). Verizon also gives you more data for that higher price, but I would rather have the cheaper data plan and monitor my useage and pocket the savings. I can get that same data amount (2GB) at AT&T for $25 ea. instead of $30 ea., if I choose. Sticking with AT&T here.

You need to do research for your own needs, wants, and coverage in your given area.

16. irfan22 macrumors regular

The cheapest family plan for Verizon is also 59.99 for 450 minutes. Att is the same price but with Rollover and 550.

Also texting to other verizon customers is free if u take either the 5 or 10 plans.

17. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that only AT&T gets the HSDPA / HSPA+ speed bump on internet access.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the whole ballgame for staying w/ AT&T if you're already being grandfathered on unlimited internet access.

Otherwise, I'd be to Sprint in a heartbeat. Best customer service, best network.

18. pettifogger06 macrumors member

When did this happen?

19. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Don't know, but when I was on Sprint back as recently as 2009, they were fantastic. Corp. store employees were helpful and friendly (I had a problem with two Palm Treos -- one out of warranty -- and they were both taken care of with no questions asked). I called once to change my plan to ADD a service (unlimited texting) and the operator actually applied several discounts that dropped my bill down even lower than when I'd called.

I didn't pay a dime for equipment any time I upgraded, as one call to retentions would always result in either a price drop to free for whatever phone I wanted or so many service credits on my account that the savings in monthly charges negated the cost of the phone. When I bought my Treo, they actually worked it out so that I didn't pay a bill for 4 months to cover most of the $199 cost of the phone.

I honestly felt bad leaving them to go to AT&T because they'd been so good to me over my 8 years with them. Sprint is one of the few companies that I recommend without a second's hesitation to people.

20. iSari macrumors member

iSari

Anyone tried or know anything about MySimpleMobile?

I heard they use T-mobiles' network but they have a $40 plan with unlimited everything! (link below)

Code:
    http://www.mysimplemobile.com/plans-40-unlimited.aspx
    iSari :apple:

21. mom333 macrumors regular

Interesting. I went to the website and the cheapest family plan was 69.99. I wonder if it's based on where you live? Thanks for this info.

22. tacload macrumors member

Not only that... when did "best network" happen? I have Sprint and I'm pulling down a cool 150kbps on 3G with dropped calls, too.