4S is my only Apple device that drops AirPlay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HazyCloud, Oct 31, 2011.

1. HazyCloud, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I recently got my hands on an Express and I decided to put it in the garage with some speakers. It's setup as a client on my Wi-Fi network so it's not doing any real work. I originally had it extending my network, but Apple recommends making it a client if it's for AirPlay only (which it is).

It seems the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 both stream music to the Express without any drops. As soon as I stop either one and start music on the 4S, it drops within 10-20 seconds. I've narrowed it down to only happening on the 4s, even when listening to the same songs. On a somewhat different note, I have noticed my 4s getting extremely poor upload speeds on Wi-Fi. While the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 pull 2.5 up, the 4S gets 0.03. I even went as far as testing a 4 and 4S side by side and they still pull very different numbers.

Is anyone having issues with either AirPlay or upload speeds on a 4s?

2. kepner macrumors 6502

Yes. I have my AirPort Express set up as a wireless client, connected to an AirPort Extreme. When I AirPlay from my 4S, it almost always causes the Extreme to reboot itself (which brings my entire network down). My iPad 2 and iPhone 4 never had any problems like this.

3. HazyCloud thread starter macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad to see it's not only me.

4. HazyCloud, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

HazyCloud thread starter macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Just to update:

I tried an Express at work as a client (joining a Wi-Fi network) with AirPlay and my 4S doesn't seem to be dropping. The only difference between here and home is that I'm using a Time Capsule at home. It seems puzzling that at home my iPad, iPhone 4 all work just fine, while the 4S works fine at work.

Right when I was about to hit 'Submit' my work Express started dropping. I'll poke around the office for a 4 to see if it works fine.

EDIT* I was unable to find a 4 before I needed to reset the settings. Luckily I know it's not just my house.