Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc8081

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So I just got my 4s switching from android and figured there was a jailbreak out but apparently not. So when do u guys think it'll be out? It usually doesn't take this long so jw

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Lot's of threads on this, pry have better luck being struck by lightning then seeing a JB for the 4S in the next couple months even. iOS5 isn't the problem, it's the new system and coding (chip etc) in the 4S that the developers are having a tough time with.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe late January, early Feb -- that's if they are waiting on 5.1, but if it's 5.0.1, early Jan.

Vday gift to us 4S/IPad 2 owners.

Princessa84

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Stupidity at it's finest :rolleyes:

its not stupid...I just find it useless to release an untethered JB for older devices when they aleready have two available to them. Not to mention that by releasing this untethered jailbreak sans A5 compatability theyve officially screwed A5 users as Apple will soon patch it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Princessa84 said:
Stupidity at it's finest :rolleyes:

its not stupid...I just find it useless to release an untethered JB for older devices when they aleready have two available to them. Not to mention that by releasing this untethered jailbreak sans A5 compatability theyve officially screwed A5 users as Apple will soon patch it.

There's more people with those "older" devices than there is with 4S! So, it is pointless by no means!

Princessa84

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
is there a reason behind that? bc i read the guy got much closer this week

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/iphone-4s-jailbreak-moves-one-step-closer-to-release-20111220/

Awesome article :D But unfortunatly more recent ones say that they are having trouble :( The ipad 2 took almost a year so im assuming the 4S will be the same. Itll be well worth the wait tho :)

----------

There's more people with those "older" devices than there is with 4S! So, it is pointless by no means!

There may be, but there was already still two JBs already available to you. It wouldnt have killed to wait until A5 devices were ready so apple couldnt patch things.

----------

Not to mention I heard the untethered is crashing alot. Wouldnt you rather wait until it was made more stable?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI

I actually kind of agree with this...

then again I agree with this too! not that anyone cares what I think :cool:

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
im waiting on the 4s jailbreak too but ahhh well. not much you can do unless you're brilliant enough to work with low level code like that.

last tweet from pod2g concerning a5 jailbreak was:

@pod2g:
@i0n1c the only problem with A5 is the injection vector, not the kernel exploit itself.

hopefully he gets over that hurdle...

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

They're too busy working on awesome tweaks and hacks like Spire and Zephyr to bother with an A5 jailbreak. C'mon... /S

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
There are WAY more A4 devices than A5 so it makes perfect sense to release the Jailbreak now. We just have to wait for the A5 JB. As long as you update to 5.01 and not any further then you should be set when it comes out.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I used to always jailbreak, but now? Meh...

Over the past couple of months without jailbreak I've learned to adapt and not crave eye-candy tweaks.

I now love the stock iPhone and I don't even know if I will jailbreak in the future anymore (crazy, I know...)

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

Over the past couple of months without jailbreak I've learned to adapt and not crave eye-candy tweaks.

I now love the stock iPhone and I don't even know if I will jailbreak in the future anymore (crazy, I know...)

well a lot of us jailbreak not for 'eye candy tweaks' but for utility. sbsettings, bitesms, etc are huge timesavers and more efficient ways of getting things done on iOS.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

if you only jailbroke for "eye candy" then you completely missed out, looks (eye candy) is one thing. But for example there's biteSMS, SBS and it's toggles for settings which integrate with the notification center, Tab+, Quickscroll2 which is awesome when browsing online, FolderEnchancer to actually make Folders useable and not limited by # of apps and being able to use folders in a folder (organizing games into categories, doing the same for business apps etc)

There's a lot for real useful tools when being jb'd that greatly improve the use of the phone.

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
well a lot of us jailbreak not for 'eye candy tweaks' but for utility. sbsettings, bitesms, etc are huge timesavers and more efficient ways of getting things done on iOS.

Absolutely, I am devestated.
I had a JB 3g for 2yrs, then I got a 4 in the summer, had it JB withing 1/2 of opening the box - :) now I am suffering without my 4s JB -

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Cool thing about the untethered and stable J/B's is that when they finally do hit the market....even eight or ten months down the road, it's almost like getting a whole new phone...lots of 'new' customization features, new apps, etc...extending the life of your current phone you may have become bored with. It's absolutely worth the wait...and considering these guys are doing it for donations...I'm sure the pennies are few and far between! Their doing it for the love of it...and they're sharing with the rest of us is a really, VERY cool gesture

Those of you crying and b!tch!ng about the time it takes and that it isnt quite available for a two month old phone...you need to grab a book on Objective C, Learn XCode, and start putting together your own software. What they're doing is not easy...takes a lot of time and skill...and I'm sure they've got 'day' jobs so they can pay their mortgages...ala, the rest of us that like to take advantage of their generosity!

Anymore, I've got a really hard time understanding some folks around these forums. The sense of entitlement, the lack of appreciation...and this me, Me, ME attitude. Gets lame after a while

Try pay-paling the developer ten-twenty bucks, say thanks...and let them know. You're not a user yet...but you're anxiously awaiting the untethered JB iOS 5.01 break on the A5 system....maybe if a couple hundred of us did that, popping about 10-20k in their bank accounts....perhaps things would be a bit quicker! Until then, donations I've got to assume does not cut their monthly expenditures and probably doesn't even come close to paying for their time spent building a product their willing to share with YOU, Gratis!

I mean come on....a pat in the back is what these fellas (and ladies if their working on the projects as well;)) deserve...not a bunch of bozos whining about how long it's taking!

BTW, iOS 5.0 is pretty damn good as it is:)

Jer

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
My 16 months old iphone 4 is a totally new machine with the new unthethered jailbreak. Jailbreak is the main reason I stayed with my iphone 4 instead of upgrading to the 4S... Well, that and also that rhe 4S just seems a pointless upgrade from the 4.

Id rather have my jailbreak 1000 times more than a new shiny 4S with boring stock iOS...

Just today I installed this new tweak called Zephyr that brings ipad multitasking gestures to thw iphone!! Its awesome and a better long term value than anything the 4S can bring.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States

I just want to be able to use bitesms again

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
BiteSMS/SBSettings and MyWi and maybe some others really... This time I will do a minimalistic Jailbreak.

Still.... I went from the 4s to a skyrocket for lack of jailbreak. Couldn't stand the skyrocket, but I guess I am moving to a S2 again because lack of jailbreak.

If the jailbreak came out today I would donate $100. I said $30 before, but that's what I feel like today.

From the looks of it, he is not that interested in anything already...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.