Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abidou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Hi,

My iPhone 4S was running just fine when suddenly, a day of usage after updating to iOS 7.0.2 from 7.0.0, it started losing connection to my home WiFi network. Another day after, I left it till its battery went bellow 20%, it shutts down. And after charging it and turning it back on, I couldn't get the WiFi switch on the "green"/"on" position. It stays "grey"/"off" no matter what!

I tried restoring the whole phone and configuration, it didn't help.

I also tried to downgrade to iOS 6, but I couldn't as it seems like Apple isn't signing previous versions anymore.

Is there something I can do?

P.S. I'm in a country where there's no Apple Store, please don't suggest going in one.

Thank you

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi,

My iPhone 4S was running just fine when suddenly, a day of usage after updating to iOS 7.0.2 from 7.0.0, it started loosing connection to my home WiFi network. Another day after, I left it till its battery went bellow 20%, it shutts down. And after charging it and turning it back on, I couldn't get the WiFi switch on the "green"/"on" position. It stays "grey"/"off" no matter what!

I tried restoring the whole phone and configuration, it didn't help.

I also tried to downgrade to iOS 6, but I couldn't as it seems like Apple isn't signing previous versions anymore.

Is there something I can do?

P.S. I'm in a country where there's no Apple Store, please don't suggest going in one.

Thank you

1. Did you try resetting network settings?
2. Did you try restarting your phone?

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
I was going to suggest you reset network settings, but if u have restored then I don't know, if there is no apple store is the an apple authorised service centre?

this maybe grasping at straws but try a DFY restore.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I was going to suggest you reset network settings, but if u have restored then I don't know, if there is no apple store is the an apple authorised service centre?

I have a feeling he restored from backup instead of setting up as NEW.

----------

Yes Sir, I tried both.

Take it to Apple. My brother in law had this problem on his iPhone 4S running iOS 6. They had to replace his phone.

abidou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
I have a feeling he restored from backup instead of setting up as NEW.

I first restored from backup, didn't help. Then I reset it and set it up as new, didn't help either.

----------

Take it to Apple. My brother in law had this problem on his iPhone 4S running iOS 6. They had to replace his phone.

I can't, as I mentioned, I live in a country where there are no Apple Stores.

No, nothing Apple related at all.

Is DFY the same as recovery mode?

Last edited:

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Have you restarted all of your network equipment, namely the router. It could just be coincidence that it occurred at the same time? Can you try it on a friends network or wifi hotspot to try and see the issue repeated elsewhere, this pointing to a hardware issue?

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Try

Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode and Do Not Disturb ON
Power down and wait 5-10 minutes
Power up
Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode and Do Not Disturb OFF

abidou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Have you restarted all of your network equipment, namely the router. It could just be coincidence that it occurred at the same time? Can you try it on a friends network or wifi hotspot to try and see the issue repeated elsewhere, this pointing to a hardware issue?

I can't even turn WiFi on, it doesn't respond to touch. So I can't try anything suggested :/

Try

Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode and Do Not Disturb ON
Power down and wait 5-10 minutes
Power up
Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode and Do Not Disturb OFF

Did as suggested, gave it 10 minutes, didn't help :s

Thank you all anyway, I really appreciate your help.

EDIT: It's the same problem described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559

Last edited:

pmcjr

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
There is a problem that none of these suggested fixes will fix...my 4S had the same wifi problem which, in my case, began just before I upgraded to ios7. I upgraded hoping it will fix the wifi problem described in the first post by abidou. I tried all the fixes suggested in this thread and even put it in the freezer after reading that possible fix somewhere. Apple is vague as to whether it is a software or wifi chip problem and, in my case, offered to do nothing except to almost force me into the ios7 upgrade. That was 3 weeks ago. After the upgrade, in addition to the no wifi problem, my 4s slowed down noticeably and the battery drain was significant...it was bad. Three days ago, as if by magic, my wifi was back, the slowness (especially in Settings) is gone, and the battery last much, much longer. It's like a new 4s with ios7. I now think the no wifi problem, slowed speed, and battery drain were/are somehow related. Software or hardware related I don't know. But the fix happened as if AT&T or Apple issued some kind of over the air patch which I know is most likely not the case. My case may not be the norm, but I would say to abidou, be patient, yours may suddenly start working as well.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
If you were having wifi and battery issues then they magically cured themselves (both issues) it sounds more like you are experiencing pre-emptive hardware failure. The chip is failing and this pulling excess power which uses more battery. When the chip starts working normally again, then re power output drops to acceptable levels and the battery no longer suffers. Don't be surprised if you find the same cycle repeated in the future. You could also have sustained some corrosion on the board to cause this as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.