4s not up-to-date? neither is MBP!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by salacious, Oct 6, 2011.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

so many complaints about the 4s yet the MBP is behind aswell yet people still buy and use it i dont get what the issue is....you know the cycle of the iphone right now 3, 3gs, 4, 4s, whats the problem they arent doing anything different?

the user experience is all that counts gheezzzz

2. charliecc macrumors regular

Why do you say the 4S is behind?

The processor might look like it's down on GHz, but Apple design in other efficiencies, so it probably performs as well as or better than other mobile processor. The camera is probably better than on any other phone and the RAM is equivalent.

That being said, the main spec bump I was looking for was screen size, so I'll not be getting a 4S.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Antennagate dampened my enthusiasm dramatically.

A distinct DOWNGRADE from the good phone performance of my prior 3GS, it taught me that sadly Apple can no longer be trusted.

4. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Because consumers are ignorant and they will buy anything that has incredibly brand power. Apple has that. It is the the apple fans like me that feel very disappointed.

Btw charliecc don't be ignorant. The iphone 4s is outdated in every way possible. The design is old. The iphone4 design ages very quickly. It doesn't have the latest mobile technologies. 4G, NFC just to name a few. Screen size is outdated. Take the Galaxy S ii for example and put the specs side by side. The galaxy S ii destroys the iphone4s in most fields and that phone is already out for months. Thats a fact!

It's BASICALLY AN IPHONE4 except it has a newer processor and a 8mp camera instead of a 5mp. Big whoop! It lags behind the competition and its marginally better than the iphone4.

5. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

i personally dont care if its behind so long as its current and does its job, i dont care about the camera but its a nice feature, i dont care if it can play games, i just like the os system, its like the car game, do you want a car thats overall or better at one thing, i was just stating a fact that the 4s is updated in the same way the MBP is, but i love my MBP and im sure if people had the 4s they would love it too, yet they moan about it, so why arent the macbookers moaning too?

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

7. joegleur macrumors regular

most HTC phones look the same save a few changes here and there.. and also, 4G and NFC. being an apple fan (assuming you are), you would've known that apple's stance is to usually adopt technologies (that they do not develop) once they are in the mass consumption market.

why have NFC for that odd 10 shops that use it? having NFC. is that a real life changing experience for a user?

i agree with 4 inch screen although that's an opinion.

8. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I agree!! :rolleyes:
    To me, it's all about the user experience.
    If you go purely by hardware spec, yeah, there are many phones above the iPhone, but to this day, none of them run iOS.

9. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

Specs mean nothing!

The iPhone 4 still works better than the SG2, and the speed bump from 4 to 4S will make it moreso. It's not about specs it's about experience, simplicity and userbility.

You can have all the dual core/quad core 2,4,6 gigs of ram of you want in an android phone and yet you still get lag/freezes/forced closes/jerky scrolling/jerky pinch to zoom.

Make a phone that works rather than getting a phone to work round is specs. OS comes first, thats what android handsets fails to achieve and manufacturers bump their phones specs to increase sales and make you believe it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'll stick with ios as it works for me flawlessly and I'm not spec crazy.

10. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

this....amen

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Talking specs is only good when it runs on the same platform. Eg. Comparing SGS2 specs to HTC Sensation specs would be sensible because they both run the same OS. Now, comparing an Android device's specs to an iOS device specs is a joke. How well the hardware responds to the software is the most important thing.

12. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

For me, the main disappointment with the 4s is the small screen. But in May, I sold my 4. Presently, I'm using my 4 1/2 year old original iPhone (bought on 6/30/07). So, upgrading to the 4s, even with the same small screen, is a no-brainer.

Recently, I have tried out a couple of android phones and a tablet. Android is fine, but it doesn't integrate as well as iOS does with my other Apple products.

Specs, by themselves, are not that important. It's how well, in real use, they perform. The new 4s appears to be considerably faster. Also, the camera looks like a good upgrade. Too, I'm curious just how well Siri works in real world settings. Yes, on paper, some new Android phones look superior to the 4s, but in actual use, I'm not so sure.

If you want to, because you're not happy with Apple's 4s, get an android phone, just keep in mind how it will fit with your other tech.

13. surjavarman, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Then why don't you settle for the iphone1. That one works flawlessly too.

I believe in both. So why settle for less when you CAN have both? Just like when the iphone4 was released. It had everything like cutting edge technology and a good OS. OS nowadays is not a factor anyway since all of them are pretty much equally as good. I chose iOS for now because of the games but android is better in most other areas. WP7 is great too.

----------

We are talking about all the specifications not just RAM and CPU. If samsung had a phone with 4G and apple was still using 2G. Would you get Apple? That is a specification.

One phone had 12mp, autofocus, LED flash and other one no camera? Thats a specification too.

Battery life is a spec.

Screen size is a spec.

Screen type is a spec.

Tons more are specs.

We are talking about the whole feature set of a phone. Not just the cpu

14. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

I settle for iPhone 4 over the original iPhone because of iOS 5. Again I don't care for specs, iOS 5 just works.

What other areas (most of as you quoted) is android better than the iPhone? Also which of those areas are better solely due to high spec of the phone?

And which of those better spec'd features do actually perform better in real world use than the iPhone 4?

15. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

No need to be aggregated. :) I guess I got caught up in replying only to the CPU and RAM, and didn't specifically state about the other things you mentioned.

16. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Well most of the new features that are in iOS5 were already in android. IOS5 copied them. There are like a lot to name that weren't in ios but were in android. I have to google them because I just don't remember them all. Some stuff like over air updating, voice controls, push notification system. But right now navigation will always be better on google especially with voice control. Integration with google services works better on android. Payment systems works better.

So if you were running anything but ios5 (which is in beta now!) then android is better in most areas. And since you said that the iphone already works flawlessly now for you that means by definition that you are NOT running ios5 and thus android is better in most areas. BTW I used the word "most" in my previous post but its actually misplaced. The sentence should be... "google is better in some areas, apple is better in others".

Specs that are useful in real life? A larger and better screen and faster mobile speeds. Those are the ones that are the most important for me. Then for the niche you always got a NFC chip and external memory card slot. And for others dimensions and weight might also play a role.

You wouldn't buy an iphone4 over the 4S either if they are both priced the same, now would you?

17. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Ok who's down voting me? You guys asked some of the features that are better on android and I replied back. And then you guys are down voting me

Thats fanboyism at its best.

18. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

while i understand you being angry about being downvoted, please stick to title thread topic, if you have an issue speak to an admin.

19. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Actually a lot of the features were from JailBreak tweaks and Apps that got Booted from the app store. (Like the camera app that used the plus minus buttons to take pics) :)

20. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I did, but only after you asked. :)

21. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

Nope I'm sticking to the i4 as it works fantastic for me.

4G - not enough worldwide coverage
    NFC - not cheap enough to produce en masse and also not used widely enough in society.
    Bigger screen - ill take battery life thanks.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Bottom line, is that Android was content with copying Blackberry, until Schmidt saw the iPhone OS...

23. joegleur macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    feisty.

----------

fanboyism on both sides suck.

but you get back to me when stevie wonder uses an android.