4S on AT&T is going to rock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The keynote really centered around speeds for GSM(AT&T) and not CDMA. My iPhone 4 on AT&T there's no contest with VZW. Now with the 4S it's going to rock! Seems like they left VZW and Sprint in the background.

AT&T has really beefed up and improved their network significantly.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You do understand that the speed "increase" had little to do with AT&T's infrastructure, right?

3. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

My AT&T signal on my iPhone 4 sucks, I only get 3 bars and drop calls in my area. So if I get the iPhone 4s, is my AT&T signal going to get better just because I will have the iPhone 4s? or it doesn't matter unless AT&T do something about their network coverage in our area?

4. Carpe Discus macrumors newbie

I think you're right! It'll be like those wide, beckoning freeways of Los Angeles. The right car could go really fast on those roads.

5. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

do you have at&ts mark the spot app. i used to get low bars in my house and i found this app and said what i was experiencing and about a month later i noticed my signal strength was up and call quality was better. now inside my house I'm never below 3 unless i sit on my phone. i use the app every time my signal is low, or my speeds are slow, and generally noticed some difference over time

6. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

It has to do with AT&T network.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

So what are the real data speeds that AT&T is now offering and will in the net 12 months?
    I read in TUAW that even the iPhone 4S has 14mbps capabilities it will be actually not used in the US as the carriers currently don't offer this kind of speed, is this wrong?

8. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not an expert but HSPDA is on the lines of HSPA+ which can provide those speeds. AT&T is only carrier in USA that can offer and is capable of this speed. Currently my iPhone 4 on AT&T networks averages 3 Mbps.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually it has everything to do with AT&T's infrastructure - HSPA+

10. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

I am upgrading from a 3GS. Even though Apple claimed improved performance with auto switching antennas, I don't trust them to stay with AT&T for 2 more years. I live in the 12th largest television market (Tampa bay), yet I suffer dropped calls and spotty coverage almost everywhere I'm been. Verizon for me.

11. brian250 macrumors member

Apple does not list the phone as having HSDPA+. Apparently it is some sort of software trickery to give HSDPA+ like speeds? Is this implementation independent of network provider, so even on a HSDPA network you would get HSDPA+ like speeds? To extend this further, if apple had implemented HSDPA+ and this trickery one could "expect" 14 MBP/S? :confused:

12. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Could be the device. When we were in Tampa/Clearwater for Spring Training our iPhone 4's were stellar. In fact I was very impressed because I thought our iPhone 4's in Philly were stellar. We were all over between Tampa/Clearwater- Orlando/Miami and never had a problem.

It'a got to be the 3GS.

----------

It's not a trick. The keynote seemed to center around HSPDA and left CDMA in the dust.