4s otterbox commuter issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Biggin587, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Biggin587 macrumors newbie

So I bought a Otterbox Commuter for my new 4s today and I am no where near satisfied. The problem is that the awe does not fit the phone correctly at all. The case has spaces around the edges and no matter what I do I cannot get the case to fit correctly. I know there was a forum on here previously but there did not seem to be an answer or solution to the problem. I'm going to try to submit some pictures that will help to describe my problem. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks for the help guys and gals!

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm sure you're having the same problems most of the other owners have had (including me). The shell isn't seating properly into the silicone, right?

I've tried a few different things with mixed results, but they have helped. Someone suggested taking the silicone and wadding it up in your hand over and over...stretch it a bit (as some of the silicone pieces seem to be just a hint too small) but be careful not to rip it...I even let one of mine soak in hot tap water for a bit, then stretched it a bit. All of these seem to help a bit, but the biggest help I found was in how I put the shell on. Put the top on first...then pull out on one side and seat it on the side of the phone...then do the other side the same way, then do the bottom. If the shell isn't seating correctly on the back of the phone (into the silicone), use your fingernail to pull the silicone out from under the shell and push the shell down into the channel while doing this.

The new silicone is much more firm than the old stuff (I kinda prefer the old style for it's pliability), but I do like that it's more firm along the edges of the screen. Look around this accessories forum...there's a huge thread dedicated to these issues with lots of pictures. I also posted a review that might help.

Let us know how it goes.

3. Biggin587, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

Biggin587 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's the thing...the silicone piece actually seems as if it's too. It rather than small..almost as if it's bunching up or something. I've tried to take the shell off and put t back on several times with negative results. I'm using my iPhone now, let me get on my MacBook and post some poor but usable photos..lol. Thanks...

**UPDATED**
    See picture attachments. They are very low quality (from iphone 3G) so I do apologize. Thanks again. :)

Attached Files:

4. Biggin587 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK! Never mind!! lol After fighting this thing since I bought it, I got a little determined and said "Self, Your gonna get this thing on here if it kills you." So I VERY SLOWLY made sure the silicone was seated on the iPhone correctly. Then, again SLOWLY inserted the top of the iPhone into the plastic outer shell. Then pulled both sides one at a time onto the silicone piece, you guessed it VERY SLOWLY. And finally, pulling the bottom over onto the silicone piece and it all snapped in!!! Wow, tried that like a 100 times already!! But it finally worked. So if your reading this DONT GIVE UP!! Thanks Kentucky for your assistance!! Cheers to you! :p

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Haha, you're welcome! Yeah, it can be a pain, that's for sure. Getting the sides into those channels in the silicone can be a trying experience, but once you do, it locks in pretty good. And once you've done it a few times, it becomes like second nature.

Glad to see you got it sorted out and I'm glad I could help. Have a great new year! :D

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Threads like this make me feel good about myself.

I hope you enjoy the case. I've had it on since day 4 (tried 3 other cases first). I like it the most. If/when my wife gets an iPhone I will be purchasing the same case for her too.

7. kizoni macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem and I have applied some simple physics with fantastic results: I have placed the silicone piece in the freezer for about an hour - hour and a half. It shrunk and then snuggly fit my phone, After that it was easy to place a plastic cover over it. Piece of cake!

Cheers,

Kizoni