4s over heating??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ripper998, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ripper998 macrumors regular

So my battery just dropped form 80% to 50% in 3 hours with no use and just now by using it to post this it's dropped another 3%. Back is VERY warm. Bad battery?? I have wifi and location services turned off.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It is possible to get a bad battery. Did you charge it up to 100% before using it for the first time?

You may need to bring it in and exchange it.

3. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Sounds like a problem to me. I'd take it right back to where you got it ASAP.

4. Almeuit macrumors regular

Id answer Sandbox first. If you didn't give it a full charge this might be it. IF you didn't id drain the battery all the way ... re-charge to 100% then test it out.

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Did you restore from a backup? Was the backup from a jailbroken phone? I imagine a restore and then setting up as a new phone will fix this problem if it persists.

6. Almeuit macrumors regular

I can't see a backup really causing THAT many issues. I have been JB since iOS 4 basically and upgraded to iOS 5 and restored from backup of my JB 4.3.3 zero issues. I can't see a JB backup causing a insane battery drain and overheating.

7. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Sounds like bad hardware. Get it replaced.

My 4S percentage dropped like a rock as I downloaded all my apps today over WiFi and it got quite hot in the process...but not as bad as you're describing.

8. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Are you friggen serious? Never.... NEVER restore from. A JB backup.

9. ripper998 thread starter macrumors regular

I did charge it up as I waited three hours to activate it. And I did use a backup from iCloud but it wasn't a JB backup.

I just did a reset back to factory settings and set it up as a new phone. Will see if it helps and decide if I want to take it back tomorrow.

10. Davewithak macrumors regular

I noticed mine getting a little warm when I was syncing it.

11. MacBootyDaddy macrumors newbie

Sounds like maybe a bad battery. Mine got really warm earlier when I first connected it to iTunes and did a sync. After that though, it's been cool and the battery hasn't dropped by much at all. And I've been web browsing on it for quite a bit.

12. Almeuit macrumors regular

Are you friggen serious? I have ... HAVE .. Since iOS 4 and have uh never had an issue.

Thx for playing :rolleyes:

13. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If you restored from an iCloud backup your phone re-downloaded all the apps you had installed on the backed-up phone all at once from the AppStore. Depending on how many apps you had this could've taken a really long time/drained a lot of battery life. Took my phone a good hour for two pages of apps after I restored from my iCloud backup.

14. ripper998 thread starter macrumors regular

Took it to the apple store, they ran their diagnostics on it and said that there was something wrong with it, wasnt giving them any readings at all. Replaced in on the spot. New one is not getting no where near as hot and doesnt take as long to find a signal either (the old one would take 3-4 minutes to find a cell signal while my wifes white would find one in less then 5 secs).

This is why I buy apple products, doesnt work? March right down to the store and dont even need to demand a new one, they replace it immediately.

15. DCAlexandria macrumors newbie

Are you guys sure you just didn't take the protective film off? The phone can't breathe with it and it gets hot and kills the battery.

16. benjamin9876 macrumors member

my phone got pretty warm when downloading app too....

is this happen to iphone 4 too ?

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Protective film has nothing to do with it buddy lol