4S rear glass replacement with decent camera lens?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cameronjpu, Mar 29, 2012.

1. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

I've had to replace rear panels before and always found that the quality of the camera fell drastically with the new panel. Anyone have a tip for a good quality one? I'm happy to pay more than the $1 that most Amazon ones seem to cost - you get what you pay for. I'd rather not pay Apple's full price though!

Thanks!

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I put a white back plate on my black 4S that I got from this place http://applepartsstore.com/index.php/ and I couldn't recommend them more. The back plate is identical to the stock black back plate (right down to the camera lens). I'm not sure if it's OEM, but it works perfectly and my pictures look just as good.

3. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool thanks, I ordered that one, and I'll try to remember to post here with my thoughts about it. For $25 hopefully it is far superior to the $5 ones but close enough to the legit ones.

Who up-voted each of our posts on this thread? :)

4. egk69 macrumors 6502

I dont understand the OP problem, what do you think makes the pictures worst?

I've done dozens of iPhone 4 and 4S Color conversions, and not even 1 have had any type of issue with the quality of the camera...

The only thing that I can think of is that the "new" backplates comes with a plastic protector over the camera hole (on the outside) and sometimes people forget to take it off , besides that theres no reason why the quality of pictures should be any different than with a OEM backplate.... Be sure to take that little cover off, hope that helps...

BTW: Sorry for the horrible grammar im tired as *****....

5. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

I just got a transparent backing for my 4S. The camera lens did come with a protector on it, which I have removed, but it's made of plastic and is slightly warped. The OEM cover is presumable made of glass and has a blue tint, probably some sort of filter on the lens.

6. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

Depending where you get them from the can have a cover on the inside and outside to protect lens so make sure you look. I have not had a problem withe the backs I got from eachsupplier.com they are pretty good quality.

7. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe it was a poor lens, which is why I asked for a plate with a good lens. The pictures were super blurry and anything using the flash was even worse.

8. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Tell ya what... they're SLOW! I ordered on 3/29, and it just shipped this morning apparently. Ugh!

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

That's odd. Mine came pretty quickly, from what I remember. Maybe they just had a hiccup in the system?

10. batotman macrumors 6502

Never had an issue with the lens on any of the ones I've used but all of them leaked light from the flash.

11. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

12. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Finally arrived. And the lens is TERRIBLE.

You can see the after and the before.... since after I took the test pic I put back on the old shattered glass just to make sure I wasn't crazy. This is pitiful.

No flash in these pictures. I tried cleaning the lens with a cotton cloth but it got no better. I did verify that there is no plastic film on the new cover (there was one, but I removed it before installing).

Attached Files:

13. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

From what I understand Apple charges upwards of $100 to do it. Sounds like you're in the UK so if they do it differently there I don't imagine it would be much help to me in the US.

14. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I doubt it, normally a similar price to the US but in dollars. At least call AppleCare and ask how much it is.

15. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Planning to pop into a store today and see what they say. You know they're as likely as not to just replace it for free ;) Always feel kinda guilty about that though.

16. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

That is awful, but I'm not sure what's going on there. The one I got works perfectly (just like the stock back). Pictures look exactly the same. I'd contact them and see if they'll replace it and make sure you send them the pictures.

17. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Ugh. Well, I took it to the Apple store and they replaced it for $30. Can't believe I went through all this trouble.