4s reception issues.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h00ligan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

First to state. No real issues with the ip4. Sure AT&T so dropped here and there but not enough to moan.

That said I'm dropping left and right with the 4s. Dropped 4-5 calls today from my house. The last one was during a light congestion period.

After dropping the phone shows searching then after ten seconds or so 4-5 bars.

Am I alone in this? Anyone else noticing substantially more dropped calls on the 4s? AT&T issue? Phone issue?

AT&T states no issues with tower in my area and 'refreshed my connection to the tower'.

Thoughts?

2. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

3. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

I'm getting better signal with the 4s.

It did something really weird the 2nd day though, it cut me off service and I had to reboot. (That's never happened with the 4)

But on the whole, it's better than the 4.

4. ducze macrumors newbie

I have the same issue but with ios5 on ip4. It is crazy cannot connect to cell network, searching all the time, tried to install iOS again with no result... Crazy ... Anyone?

Greg

5. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I have this issue at home….. One minute phone is zero, then 4 bars.

My old iPhone 4 was a steady 3 bars continuously.

6. cole01 macrumors 6502

Definitely getting better signal with my 4S, now no longer have to switch to EDGE to make a phone call even though I still want my toggle back!

7. roberthodgson macrumors regular

8. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

9. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I have been having the same problems - several disconnects, poor signal, etc. I'm not sure whether it's iP4S related or AT&T, but chances are pretty good it's AT&T.

I have noticed slightly better signal strength, according to the bars on the phone, compared to my iP4, but clearly there are issues happening. Could it be that an influx of customers has stressed their system once again?

10. shane.reid macrumors newbie

11. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Try putting it in airplane mode then turn it back off.
    See if that helps. That also refreshes your signal to the nearest tower.

Sometimes if I am an area with lower bars, I do that I can get full bars.

12. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I'm not seeing any real change in phone performance between the 3GS I've used since July 2009, and the 4S I have now. Displayed signal strength is occasionally better, but generally the same as it was, and call quality remains unchanged.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The 4S is Apples best to date. Finally getting serious, they've learned how to build a good phone. It's got a greatly improved antenna & a new baseband processor optimized for AT&T.

If you're not getting good service then you should be using another carrier. Each provider and strong coverage areas & weak ones. It's why they provide coverage maps. It's how cell phones work. One should always choose the carrier first.

14. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

It would be hard to dispute that the 4S was the best iPhone so far, but I can't say the previous models were all that inferior by comparison.

Good advice in theory, but unfortunately a good many people live in areas where choice is more a matter of the lesser of possible evils, considering a variety of factors including service quality.

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Try a Restore from new is you can, if that doesn't work go to AT&T and get a new sim card and make sure your on the iPhone 4s plan. If that doesn't work get it replaced, the 4s has been better for me reception wise and I have yet to drop a call and my house is in a low reception area, would always drop calls with my previous iPhones.

16. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

No issues with reception that I can see. I did notice signal doesn't seem to bounce as much as it did on the ip 4. Although I have never had call issues where I am.

17. scousers macrumors member

I haven't had any dropped calls but have noticed that the signal bars will disappear for half a second or so then reappear. Usually have 4-5 bars. Haven't noticed any poor effect caused by this except for momentary Internet lags.

Could this be the phone switching between two antennas?

18. gtmac macrumors 6502a

My 4S is slightly worse than my 4. Damn my need to be an early adopter. Really though I know it will all get worked out.

19. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

i've not had a single dropped call or signal issues w/ my 4s

20. yly3 macrumors 6502

Since nobody is answering to my thread I guess I'll post a similar issue over here. Here's the quote

Got my brand new iPhone 4S 64GB White Neverlocked and the signals drops just like in the title, and it takes around 20-30 seconds to get back up. Maybe more often when with 3G on, it's embarrassing Apple really. It's been 2 and 1/2 hours since I've unboxed it so I can't really tell if I have the battery issues. So far so good, I dropped 13% in this interval but I really used Google Maps (when it worked ..) and played with Siri a bit.

I am using a white genuine bumper btw.

I already contacted my local Apple Reseller because I don't have Apple Stores in my country (Europe) and the first thing they told me was "Unfortunately, you aren't the only one" but they don't even know when they can replace mine, because it will take between 1 week-mid November to get stock, because it's too new.

Anyone having this problem? I can't use this as a phone.

WTF Apple !

21. dlubis macrumors member

dlubis

I'm getting better signal with the 4s, much better than the 4. :)

22. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

23. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Phone was setup as new.
    Very few drooped calls w/ip4

It did not happen today but I also wasn't on the phone much. I'm hoping it was an AT&T hiccup

24. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i wish i was getting 4 bars in my house but i get 2 or 3 strong and i only had about 2 dropped calls so far i can honestly say though it's a much improved reception but still would like to see more bars in the house since all other 4 iPhones i had never had full reception.

25. KTF, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

KTF macrumors regular

KTF

i4S its great!

NYC, My i4S Att Is A Super Solid Phone All Around, The Reception is Great! Love It!