4S: Restore 5.0.1 from 5.0.1 HELP!

redsox786

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

I have a CDMA 4S that's currently jailbroken and on 5.0.1. I have the SHSHs saved via TinyUmbrella for 5.0.1 and 5.0.1b. How would I go about doing a clean install of 5.0.1? I will be jailbreaking it again after using Absinthe, but not sure how I would go about restoring to 5.0.1 again now that 5.1 has been released. Please help!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi,

I have a CDMA 4S that's currently jailbroken and on 5.0.1. I have the SHSHs saved via TinyUmbrella for 5.0.1 and 5.0.1b. How would I go about doing a clean install of 5.0.1? I will be jailbreaking it again after using Absinthe, but not sure how I would go about restoring to 5.0.1 again now that 5.1 has been released. Please help!
On 4S, you cannot since Apple no longer signs 5.0.1

redsox786

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Even thought I saved the SHSH's, I still won't be able to do a clean install of 5.0.1? What if I did a "Erase All Content and Settings" from the phone? Will that work and reset it back to 5.0.1? If I lose the jailbreak doing this, can I just jailbreak it again?

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Using the "Erase All" option on a jailbroken phone will break it and it will not boot, so requiring a full restore via iTunes anyway.

On A5 devices, even with SHSH blobs you still can't go to a firmware other than what Apple is currently signing (so iPad 2 and iPhone 4S). You're stuck on your current 5.0.1 setup or go to an unjailbroken 5.1 clean setup.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
Using the "Erase All" option on a jailbroken phone will break it and it will not boot, so requiring a full restore via iTunes anyway.

On A5 devices, even with SHSH blobs you still can't go to a firmware other than what Apple is currently signing (so iPad 2 and iPhone 4S). You're stuck on your current 5.0.1 setup or go to an unjailbroken 5.1 clean setup.
100% correct and the way it is OP.

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Even thought I saved the SHSH's, I still won't be able to do a clean install of 5.0.1? What if I did a "Erase All Content and Settings" from the phone? Will that work and reset it back to 5.0.1? If I lose the jailbreak doing this, can I just jailbreak it again?
DO NOT use the "Erase All Content and Settings" on jailbroken devices. For A5, devices, as stated by others in this thread, are unable to be restored to any firmware except the one being signed. This is true even with SHSH blobs and APTickets saved. Only the older models are able to be downgraded with SHSH blobs saved.

petersun21

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
restore

no has a solution for this yet. I am in the same situation. Does not want to upgrade yet.