4S Screen Replacement Having Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Piloten, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Piloten macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I apologize if this isn't the best spot for this. I recently replaced the screen on my sister's 4S and now it is acting funny. A little background on me, I've been an avid computer builder for years and have dealt with many Android phones inside and out, so pulling apart a few screws on an iPhone was probably one of the easier things I've done. I'm very thorough and am positive I installed everything correctly. Anyways, some of the issues seem to be software related so we reset the phone to no success. Issues include: no music plays from the music app, although the speaker does in fact work when the phone rings or is in speaker mode, weird right? When the music app is up, it doesn't even have a volume slider anymore (see screenshot). It shows the song is playing but there is no audio. Also, when you go to turn the volume up, it doesn't show the volume bars anymore (see other screenshot). Other than that, it appears to mostly be working well. Any suggestions?

2. Piloten thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You've messed the dock connector up. The reason for all of those issues is because the phone thinks it's connected to a sound dock.

4. Piloten thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember damaging or breaking anything, etc. So the phone is shot then?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It'll be one of two things - the dock connector assembly itself - or the connector on the logic board.

If you have a spare dock connector or another phone, you could try connecting that to see. If it turns out to be the connector it's a cheap repair. If it's the MLB then it's probably time to get a new one :).

6. Piloten thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thank you.

On a side note, is this something I messed up? Or when the phone was dropped and broke the screen it messed up this as well and it was all held together until I disassembled the phone?

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's highly unlikely that this would be caused by the drop. It's caused by the phone detecting a short of two particular pins on the dock connector - the two that audio devices short to say they're taking over audio control. The normal cause is liquid - but damage to the flex could cause similar issues.