4S shutting down at ~12% battery

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by nitromac, Oct 8, 2013.

1. nitromac macrumors 6502

Lately my 4S has been shutting down at around 12% of its battery life, then displaying the red empty battery screen when I try to start it up again. I've been on iOS7 since release, and this has been happening for the past week or so. Anyone else in the same boat?

2. abidou macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem, and things are getting worse: I completely lost the ability to turn WiFi on.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Try to recalibrate the battery discharging it completely and recharging till 100% for 2-3 times.
    Otherwise your battery could be defective or just too old

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Your Wifi issue has nothing to do with the battery.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

been some time since ive done this but if i remember correctly you must leave it completely drained for a couple of hours before charging it - with no interruptions - fully.

6. abidou macrumors newbie

I suppose so, but both problems came with 7.0.2 update.

7. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Have had the same issues with my 4S.
    My shut down at 8% battery. I did to a complete discharge and charge to 100%.
    Same happened the next day.

8. albertxp06 macrumors regular

One more for battery issues. Starting with iOS 7, my battery has been acting weirdly. Sometimes it drops from 14% to 5% in a few seconds, sometimes the phone dies at 3%.

Don't even try to tell me to recalibrate the battery. This didn't happen with iOS 6.

9. maricc macrumors regular

Same happens to me, phone shows 3% battery then once I plug it in, it jumps to 21%

10. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Your battery could be defective or too old and its time for a change

11. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

It's not your battery. It is the update. Mine does the same thing now. Only if I try and make a call with 13% otherwise it is fine if I just text.
    I have the 5s

12. v.kanniainen macrumors newbie

Same problems. Yesterday my phone died at 13%
    Same weird thing was in beta 2 or 3. Hopefully they fix this issue in future update.

13. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

I had this issue and I found out it was caused by using my iPad 3 charger on it instead of the charger that came with the 4S. I reckon it must have a different amperage or something that makes it charge too quickly.

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

IPad chargers at 10W chargers and iPhone/iPod chargers are 5W, so yes it will charge faster.

15. Imac Sam, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

Same issue here, having this problem on 4 different Iphone5 in the family. I have a friend with an iphone 5s that appears not to have the problem. The weird thing is that we both have the same things such as location services and background apps turned off. But yet my battery will drop from 30 to 15% instantaneously sometimes. i have cycled the battery 3 times in a row and still nothing. I have also done it the other iphones with the same results. I think the iOS7 algorithm for the battery meter is either grossly or "purposely" mis-representative, in regards to the iphone5.

I hope 7.0.3 will fix these issues.

16. lo100469 macrumors member

Hello all,
    A 10W charger will not charge the Iphone faster. The Iphone dictates how much energy to take from the charger, anything above 5W will not charge faster (same as you charge a macbook air with a macbook pro charger). I have similar issues with my IP4s that is a couple of years old. With 350 battery cycles, and 80% of the original battery capacity remaining, I ordered a new battery. You may be in a similar situation.

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes it will charge faster as the device gets more amperage delivered from the iPad charger. The same happens conversely that you can charge an iPad with iPhone charger but it takes longer and if using it may only maintain at best (needs to really be idle and possibly off to actually charge). Same holds true for the 65 w and 80 w MacBook chargers. The devices will only take the voltages they need but will get more amperage. This is why car chargers that deliver 2 A charge the iPhones faster.

18. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Both me and my girlfriend has had this problem on our 4 and 4S respectively, after the update to iOS7.

19. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

my 4s usually shuts down around 7% on iOS7 since beta to 7.0.2

20. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

I have charged my iPhone 5 with iPad and iPhone charger and it charged from 0% to 100% on same time, maybe +- 1minute.

21. lo100469 macrumors member

The device will decide what amp it needs, of course if you charge an ipad with an iphone charger the iPad will not get the 2 amp or 10W it needs and therefor it will charge slower (or it will not even charge if you use it).
    Try to charge a macbook air with a 45, 60 or 85W charger, charging time will be about the same.

22. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have done this and my wife's 13 inch definitely charges faster with my 15 inch charger. My iPhone also charges faster with the 2a car charger than the standard included wall charger. I haven't looked carefully at the iPhone but the MacBook circuit uses voltage regulation (this tells it how much voltage to draw) and over current limiting so it will charge faster with the higher amp chargers. It just depends on the circuit tolerances of the current over limiting triac (it doesn't select the amount of the current draw like you state but instead controls the over limit situation and protects the circuit from too dangerously high of current conditions). My wife's charges about 30 min faster with my 80 watt charger than with her 60 watt.