4s - Two Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poob Bubes, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I just noticed two dead pixels on my 4s. According to this article, Apple should replace it. My question is, will my Apple store have any in stock to replace with right now?

Also, I have a Power Support crystal screen protector on the front and back. Will I just have to take a loss on this? I would be willing to by another set at the Apple Store and have them put it on if possible. Do they generally do a good job when applying screen protectors?

2. moargolems macrumors regular

You have to walk in to the store yourself and ask. How could we possibly know the current stock of your local Apple store?

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have read a couple posts from people who had phones with screen protectors replaced, where the Apple Store did replace their screen protector also at no charge. I would assume that if you bought the screen protector with the phone at the Apple store, that would be more likely to happen - but only way to find out is to try it.

4. Poob Bubes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I don't expect you to know. I am just looking for general information since the 4s is hard to get right now. Also, my Apple store is an hour away so I just want to be sure I have all my bases covered before making a trip.

5. moargolems macrumors regular

Call and ask. Apple will definitely replace a device with dead pixels, but if you're concerned about the stock, call. I think they're more than pleased to help.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Apple should have iPhones instock just for replacements. They may run out of phones to sell but should always have inventory to replace defective ones. Like last poster, just call and ask to be safe.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

How did you even see the pixel. Microscope?

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If you saw dead pixels on retina display it will not be just two.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that its a retina display how in the world did you spot them? Did you use a magnifying glass or were you able to spot them right off the bat without any visual aides?

10. gMacbookPro macrumors member

They will replace for you.
    I have a tiny crack on the edge where the front glass is. (the plastic thing that surrounding the glass edge?)
    I brought the phone to apple store and they happy to replacement one for me.
    The phone is a replacement which mean no box and just a new device with different serial # (he said it is a brand new phone because there is no refurbished one yet)

11. Poob Bubes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Well, I just used a high powered microscope on the display and it does not appear to be a pixel. Hopefully it is just a couple of specks trapped underneath my screen protector. I will have to check when I get home tonight.

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

doh! You have a screen protector on it? The first thing Apple is going to do when you bring it to them is rip that thing off and BINGO! no more bad pixel.

13. toanavinai macrumors member

I just exchanged my black iPhone 4S (16GB) at an Apple Store just last night due to dead pixels. Contrary to some posts here, when you see a dead pixel on the retina display it sticks out like a sore thumb. I had at least 3 of them - two were side-by-side, and I first noticed them first on the "i" key when the on-screen keyboard was popped up. I noticed the third dead pixel after I decided to scrutinize the display, and it was about an inch above the first two.

I walked into a very busy Apple Store yesterday afternoon and made a Genius Bar appt. for later that evening. All I had to do was point out the pixels to the Genius assigned to help me, and he immediately agreed and told me about the exchange policy and checked the stock of black 16GB Verizon 4S's reserved for replacements/exchanges (there were at least 13 according to the iPad he was checking the inventory with). They were all kept in a drawer in the grey boxes usually used for refurbished iPhones, so I asked about that - the Genius responded that the phone is so new that all the "refurbished" phones used for replacements/exchanges are also brand new, so no worries there, but he noted that if I had come in with this issue in a few months time the phones would likely be properly used refurbs. Within about half an hour from start to finish I was leaving the Apple Store with a new iPhone 4S w/ all pixels intact.

14. Poob Bubes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I just lifted up the screen protector and whatever the specks are, they are under the surface of the phone. It looks like I will be making a trip to the Apple Store this weekend.

15. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I had a dead pixel so I returned the phone in 15 minutes. Was given a brand new one in box and that also has a dead pixel and a vibrator switch that sounds terrible. UGH!

16. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

the vibrator switch makes a sound?

17. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Its hard to explain the noise, but ill try. It sounds like its hitting the back glass (sometimes). Other times it sounds like it should. Even Apple said it was not functioning properly and apologized for 2 phones with dead pixels in a row.

Just frustrating because the dead pixels once noticed are so obvious!