4S Upgrade + Unlimited Data = Gone? 4 = No Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by definitive, Oct 7, 2011.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Two questions.

A friend just tried upgrading from a 2+ year old 3GS (with unlimited) to a 4S and received this message:

[​IMG]

They can check the Unlimited Data Plan for $30 a bit down the page, but that message is somewhat alarming...

Second question:
    How come AT&T Didn't bump the upgrade date for iPhone 4 users? I got mine the first day its preorders started, and it shows that I can't upgrade until 18th of next month.

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

iPhone upgrades from AT&T seem to go by some weird formula based on variables that no one completely understands. But, it doesn't necessarily benefit them to bump up your upgrade date, so why would they? They payed a lot of money to subsidize your iPhone 4 purchase, and they recoup that through your two year contract. It always surprises me that people are unhappy when their carrier doesn't move up their upgrade date. You signed the contract. Don't go into it expecting that you'll qualify to upgrade when the next phone is released. Instead, think of it as a bonus if they happen to offer you the option to upgrade early.

If your friend had unlimited data, he should be grandfathered in. It might be worth a call to AT&T (when things calm down in a few days) just to double check and make sure there's no problems later on, though.