4s Value in 4 months?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk24iam, Oct 10, 2011.

  1. sk24iam macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #1
    I am 4 months away from an early upgrade with Verizon. I am considering on buying an iphone at retail price this month. In 4 months, I will renew my contract with another iphone upgrade and then sell it online. Will the seconday market price be signifcantly lower than the reatil price in 4 months?

    Which size iphone has the highest resale margin?
     
  2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

    FreakinEurekan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    Location:
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    #2
    You should be able to do OK with this scheme, particularly if you sell the new one you get in 4 months (i.e. don't try to sell the one you get now, sell the NIB one). That lets you get the size/color you want now, and coming up on your upgrade date you can check eBay/CL and see which size/color combo is selling for the best price - and use that to decide which one to get (and sell) with your upgrade.
     
  3. ps2pk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    #3
    Why not snap up a cheap iphone 4 on craigslist/ebay/etc for $200-300 and then get the iphone 4s in 4 months?

    Once your upgrade is available sell the iPhone 4 for the same price you bought it for.

    Non contract prices are $650. In 4 months I think they'll be $500-550.
     
  4. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    #4
    Depending on where you live and the demand for the iPhone 4S, a new in box iPhone would probably go very close to the actual full retail price, minus tax of course. In southern California, the Phone 4 new in box white was going at nearly retail price like three months ago. My guess is you could get $600 or so full a 16gb, $700 for 32gb or $800 for 64gb if you worked hard to sell it. However, I do think it would be hard to sell the 64gb, and judging by preorders, it looks like 16gb is selling the best so far.

    But really at this point it's all speculation
     
  5. tritonj macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #5
    why go through all that trouble? just wait the 4 months. you may not even be able to buy one at retail at launch
     
  6. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #6
    doesn't seem like too much trouble. As long as I can resell a new 4s in February it shouldn't be that bad. It would be great if they are selling for more than retail price on ebay at the time.
     
  7. sviato macrumors 68020

    sviato

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2010
    Location:
    HR 9038 A
  8. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #8
    this is not true and off topic.
     
  9. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

    Martyrd0m

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Location:
    NJ
    #9
    You will get close but not over retail. By February the market will be filled with them so you will do ok on a NIB but don't go expecting a profit. By that time you would be better off saving up for jumping on iPad 3 preorders.
     
  10. optophobia macrumors 6502a

    optophobia

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hudson MA
    #10
    How on earth would it be selling for MORE than retail price ?
     
  11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Location:
    FL
    #11
    You should wait to at least next month and buy an unlocked one from Apple if you are going to pay full retail for it now.
     
  12. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #12
    international sales?
     
  13. asleep macrumors 68040

    asleep

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
  14. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #14
    Isn't the unlocked one going to be GSM and will not work on Verizon?
     
  15. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #15
    iPhone 4 16gb was worth about £400-450 after 4-6 months

    So you can expect about £50-100 drop in Market price.

    But buying from retail price won't go down
     
  16. optophobia macrumors 6502a

    optophobia

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hudson MA
    #16
    I would like to see you trying to sell an iPhone 4s that works on Verizon internationally. :rolleyes:
     
  17. Codepiink macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Location:
    Westchester County, NY
    #17
    I don't get the logic of buying it full price and then upgrading your line in 4 months and then selling that one. Why not just buy it full price if you really want it, and leave your upgrade alone incase you want the next iPhone that might be coming out in a year? That makes more sense to me. Unless you are just looking to get back some of your money now and don't care about the next iPhone.
     
  18. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #18
    I don't intend on paying $749 for a phone. And there is no guarantee when another iphone will be..
     
  19. mark081990 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2011
    #19
    Who wants a used iPhone for anything more than $150 tops?

    ITS USED!!!! i dont get this world
     

Share This Page