4s won't make/receive calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wildhunt, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Wildhunt macrumors newbie

Hi,

My 2 month old 4S has failed today. The battery ran down during the night - I recharged, but the phone won't work. If I place a call, it doesn't ring and I can not end the call without restarting the phone. I can connect to iTunes and the phone is visible, but I can not sync. It tells me the session can not start. I tried a text and it wouldn't send - it said no service, but eventually it sent the message (told me it hadn't gone, but it had)

I am at a loss as to what to do! I have disabled location service and bluetooth but that hasn't helped. I have closed down all Aps using the home button screen. I have restarted the phone and removed and replaced my Sim card. Next to the battery percentage is a clock sign that I haven't noticed before - maybe because I have alarms set? Siri was working, but now isn't. Is my only option to reset the phone?

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Sally

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Initially, I would leave the phone powered off and connected to the power outlet for a few hours to get a full battery charge, then power it on and see if you have the same problem.

If you do (and as you've done a fair amount of troubleshooting already) your only remaining option may be to put the iPhone into 'recovery mode' where you can then set it up as new and then restore your data.

Restoring the iPhone is not too difficult. As long as you have synced recently, you shouldn't lose anything either. To get into recovery mode, try this:

1. Leave the USB connected to your Mac or PC, but disconnect it from your iPhone.
    2. Start iTunes then press and hold the Home and Sleep/Power button on the top of the iPhone. It should turn off.
    3. Continue to hold the Home button but let go of the Sleep/Power button while you reconnect the USB cable to your iPhone.
    4. Continue to hold the Home button until iTunes says it's found an iPhone in recovery mode.
    iTunes will then prompt you to restore the iPhone.

Hope this helps,

RTP.

3. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Sounds just like my dad's Iphone 4.

His phone ran down completely the night before last then when it was charged it was not getting incoming calls. Even though the caller can hear ringing the iPhone did not make a sound or show anything.

It kept saying Searching on the top left. We're both on the same network and my 4S was showing a good strength at the same location.

It would dial out, but when you pressed end call, the button would change colour but it would stick on Call Ending. Pressing the home button would get back to the home screen but when you pressed the phone icon it was still showing the Call Ending screen. A respiring would clear that.

I tried all sorts of things, closing all apps, restarting, restringing. It was getting to the stage where I was going to have to try a complete restore on it.

Later on out of the blue it received a couple of messages about missed calls and it was ok then.

Odd.

4. Wildhunt thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution!

Thank you to both of you for your replies.

I found the following on MacRumors and gave it a try - worked immediately. Posting the message for other sufferers to find:

Feb 21, 2012, 12:52 AM #8
    ktino
    macrumors newbie

solved
    ok, i had this and it was getting very frustrating

Go to Settings-->General-->Network
    Turn on Cellular Data, then turn OFF the Data Roaming, and then turn off Cellular Data Again.

SOLVED!