4S Yellowed Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by r3dsh1ft, Oct 22, 2011.

1. r3dsh1ft macrumors newbie

I recently got my phone 2 days ago after being in backorder hell, and I noticed the 4S screen has a uniform yellow tint to it compared to my 4. I was reading online about it and people said it would go away.. but I was just wondering if people who had got their phone on launch received a yellow screen, and if so, has it gone away yet?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine is fine, no yellowing here. Got it on launch day.

3. r3dsh1ft thread starter macrumors newbie

You are one of the lucky ones, as not all phones are affected.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394830,00.asp#fbid=ItxXqqr22RN

4. ectlu93 macrumors member

ectlu93

Yeah I also got my on launch day after pre order anxiety lol. And my phone is just fine. Take it to your local apple store.

5. haulis macrumors regular

I got a replacement 4s already due to some spots on the display. This phone does have a bit more warm display but I actually think it might be better. Comparing it to my iPhone 4 I feel like this one might have more accurate colors.

It definitely doesn't seem as yellow as some iPhone 4's that I have seen though.

6. glhughes macrumors regular

I have had 3 iPhone 4Ses at this point (1 retail, 2 'new' service units). The first one had a greenish-yellow tint that was bad enough that I exchanged it. The second one had a blue tint that was also quite distracting but I ended up exchanging it for other reasons (earpiece intermittently non-functional on calls, and gap between top glass and metal).

I would say that the 3rd one is much closer to 'white' even though it is still washed out and warmer when compared to my 3GS. It looks 'white' at first blush and compares favorably -- although a little warmer -- to other devices (MBAir, plasma TV, desktop LCD monitors).

The first two simply did not not conform to 'white' in the sense that it wasn't a question of color temperature but rather a tint -- they were just off-white and it was obvious in the absence of anything else to compare against. As an example, my netbook has a pretty high white point but still looks 'white' even when compared with other displays, however the bluish-tinted 4S looked blue when compared even with this display.

The irony is that this 3rd 4S actually has some blotchiness to it (darker in top-left corner) and seems to progress from a little cooler to warmer from top-left to bottom-right. The first two were consistently craptacular all across the entire screen. I am hoping the screen evens out a bit over the next few days.

Anyway, my take on this is that there are two separate problems at play here: (1) the lack of contrast to the screen, and (2) a tinting of the screen. (1) seems to affect all of the 4S screens while (2) seems to be a hit-or-miss problem that highlights issue (1).

7. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Launch day 4s. No yellow looking screen here. I haven't every actually seen one with this problem, not in person, anyway. I remember from last year that MANY posters on here were complaining of yellowed 4's, but they improved with use. Possibly due to glue not fully cured. Try it and see.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Having been to 2 Apple stores and one AT$T store today, specifically to compare screens for an unrelated issue, I have come to the conclusion that the iPhone 4S screens are among the worst in terms of consistency of any iPhone release, especially when compared to the iPhone 4, which I found to be the most consistent. As a professional photo retoucher, I feel somewhat qualified to pass judgement.

The screens I saw varied considerably, from neutral and contrasty, like the iPhone 4, to flat and yellowish, like the 3G was for many. And since I was investigating issues with viewing the screen through polarized sunglasses (a can of worms on its own), I can add that doing so presents a wildy varied experience…some were deep blue, some were magenta, some green.

Oddly, all but the Sprint models showed discoloration when seen thru polarized sunglasses. The Sprint phones looked good. This says to me that the coatings, the glass, or even the LCD itself are all over the place in terms of tolerances, manufacturing methods, and/or suppliers.